Model A horn and traffic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Model A horn and traffic

Have any of you heard how a model A horn sounds at 45-50 mph? I have had 2 close calls recently, One when a guy was coming into my lane and I had no place to go, the other in a parking lot with this jerk just backing out without looking and depending on a horn to warn him. Again I had no place to go because car behind me. I want a truckers air horn with a foot switch, any ideas?

Truckers horn would be air and a pump on your engine ? Go electric, Bob, with a foot switch and a gun with many bullets
    Model A's and of course the famous AA's

Comment

There are electric horns out there that sound so close to train horn that every time my neighbor uses his I jump and look for the train! Check your local truck stop. I think they are only 12v but if you are that desperate, the change over would be worth it. I have my "original" Spartan running on 12v and it seriously gets the job done at any speed.

YMMV
      You wana look waaay far up da road and plan yer route because the brakes are far more of a suggestion than a command!

Comment

How does your horn sound normally? A good working A horn is pretty loud

As with most clueless drivers any horn won't mean squat
        3 ~ Tudor's
        Henry Ford said
        "It's all nuts and bolts"

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

• plyfor
          plyfor commented
          Editing a comment
          Concur, our stocker with 12 volt resister can blow the roof off the garage. The antique sound will certainly get someone's attention if I lean on it.

• carolinamudwalker
          carolinamudwalker commented
          Editing a comment
          Mitch, my horn is fine for around town and people can see the car. I think maybe the sound is so foreign that people are confused and ignore it when they cant see it. Sometimes you have to experience the problem before you can offer sound advice, and I don't mean this in a nasty way so no offence.

The 2 stock horns on my Studebaker are 6 volts and the loudest original car horns I've heard.

I also have a pair of horns that look like the typical long truck air horns, but mine work on vacuum, and they are loud.

Comment

I've seen guys use a finger instead of their horn.....maybe the horn didn't work?
          Twiss Collector Car Parts

Comment

My 40 Ford has the original long trumpet horns, with two tones. They sound like a semi coming down the road.
            As far as air horns, when I was a kid, my buddy had a 56 pickup with air horns mounted on the roof, and the chain inside the cab to operate them. They ran off an air tank behind the seat, which he periodicly refilled at the gas station.
            Bill
            http://www.brauchauto.com/
            Eastern Connecticut

Comment

You could go to the pick a part and get some horns to hide under the splash aprons. Before I get rid of my old Caddy I'm going to pull those 4 note horns off.

Comment

All good options, thanks guys. hiding them under the splash aprons is a good idea.

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• aok
                  New auxilary horn button
                  by aok
                  Had problems with my horn, replaced it with a new one from berts, worked well but.
                  Horn kept blowing when I drove.
                  Not a purest so replaced original horn button with a aftermark button.
                  Horn works 😀.

​​​​​​
                  09-13-2020, 11:23 PM
                • Roadster Rich
                  Sparton Horn Issues
                  by Roadster Rich
                  I drive my roadster during the winter in FL. It is always in a workshop with two dehumidifiers running so I am not getting any rust or mildew. I noticed last winter that the horn was sounding a little sick, but did no investigation. Now I find that when I push the horn button it starts to sound a little like the horn but pretty weak, and only for about 2 seconds. If you hold the button on, it just...
                  You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                  This gallery has 2 photos.
                  01-10-2020, 12:19 PM
                • canadian
                  Horn Button
                  by canadian
                  29 Murray body, horn button has spring return pressure , horn works fine , lights work fine, but horn button can be pushed off to the side in any direction in light switch housing . basically horn button can wobble around. any tips or what to expect? appreciate it.
                  02-01-2019, 01:01 PM
                • copgib
                  Horn help
                  by copgib
                  Hey guys I had my horn hooked up and no matter what I do it will not work so I am looking for another horn. Could someone recommend to me a horn model and where to buy it. Looking for guys that bought one and has great sucess with it. Thanks Hugh
                  07-05-2018, 07:42 PM
                • Tudor31
                  Ahooga horn in trouble
                  by Tudor31
                  Somebody called himself a knucklehead. Well. here is another one. I have had problems with the horn on my 31 Tudor and have been taking the back cover of multiple times. The last time I guess I didn't tighten the screw enough since it come off while I was out driving. Yes, you guessed it, the cover came off and the car behind my ran it over making it into a flat piece of metal. So, here we go....
                  05-31-2018, 08:31 PM
                • Captndan
                  Horn
                  by Captndan
                  6v horn on a 12v system. Will a ballast resister do the trick?
                  06-04-2019, 02:48 PM
                • saxman657
                  Need help with horn
                  by saxman657
                  I have a 28 Tudor that was refurbished by my wife's uncle, now since passed, so I don't know much of the history of this car. I was trying to clean/lube the horn per Les Andrew's book, but it looks like the unit is sealed and can't get it completely apart per the book. Could this be some kind of after market horn? I've attached pictures. If it is an aftermarket, how do you lube -- or does a horn...
                  This gallery has 5 photos.
                  02-25-2019, 03:21 PM
                • Leo
                  Horn Goes Ahooga When Engine Running Just Oogh When Engine Off
                  by Leo
                  OK, not a show stopper question but just a minor annoyance. I suspect a poor ground, probably too much paint in places where it should not be because all the wiring was replaced and the horn blows fine when it gets enough juice. Will a horn relay fix this? Yeah, I know it's a band aid approach.........
                  02-19-2018, 11:07 AM
                • Big guy
                  Spartan Horn. What is this?
                  by Big guy
                  My horn wouldn't work. Gotta have a horn, it's part of the driving experience. So I removed the cover and cleaned and oiled things up. I was able to get intermittent sound but not when I replaced the cover. I searched posts and read some Andrews articles. This thing was in the way and made it difficult to install the cover so I removed it and the horn works like a champ.
                  What is this thing?...
                  06-27-2020, 09:30 AM
                • Ken Parker
                  help on 12 v horn winding
                  by Ken Parker
                  Need input from electrical gurus.
                  I have everything ready to rewind a horn motor field coils to make it a 12 volt horn . Horn frame is stripped of old 20 ga. wire and frame cleaned. Have about 1000 ft of 24 ga coated wire. The 20 ga wire that came off the coils were 20.5 ft long and had 23 or 25 coils. Reading info the new 24 ga wire should be twice that long and have about twice the number...
                  This gallery has 1 photos.
                  12-11-2019, 09:25 AM
                Working...
                X