Voltage reduction for the Horn

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Voltage reduction for the Horn

The pickup has the 12v system installed - and I'm getting ready to send in an order to my favorite parts supplier.
    I see two different "Horn Voltage" reducers - one is a resister that mounts inside the horn (Brattons) and the other is an externally frame mounted device from Snyders. Pricing is about the same.
    My concern is that while I like the internal solution.... I have two grandsons that are going to take long presses on the arooga button. I don't want to burn up the internal wire.

Any experiences?

Have the external type that mounts under the left front hood latch bolt.

Comment

I have what I believe to be an original Spartan horn and am running 12v without a single problem. Actually, of all the members cars, mine sounds the most realistic. The trick is in the adjustment of the horn.
      You wana look waaay far up da road and plan yer route because the brakes are far more of a suggestion than a command!

Comment

I also have the external resister and have hid it and the wires going to the horn & lights with the plastic wire wrap

Comment

Thanks guys... doesn't sound like anyone has the internal wire. I may just wire it up and see how it sounds......

I may ask for instructions on "Tuning"....
          Last edited by 30Pickemup; 09-07-2018, 06:26 PM.

Comment

Unless it is a fresh rebuild, I would pull the cover and drip some 3in1 oil on the felt pads at the motor ends. Reinstall the cover, and the screw next to the mounting screw(inboard screw) is the adjustment. Turn it out, (lefty loosey), have someone honk the horn while you slowly turn the screw in(righty tighty) until it starts making noise. Once noise is heard, continue slowly until desired sound is achieved.
            You wana look waaay far up da road and plan yer route because the brakes are far more of a suggestion than a command!

Comment

If you start by turning the adjustment screw out, so the armature has no working load, then run it on 12 volts, the armature can spin fast enough to throw off the commutator bars.

Comment

Horn tech thread
                https://www.vintagefordforum.com/for...8809-horn-info
                3 ~ Tudor's
                Henry Ford said
                "It's all nuts and bolts"

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

Thanks Mitch. I’m pretty sure Larry rebuilt the horn along with the rest of the chassis and engine parts.

Comment

• Larry Jenkins
                    Larry Jenkins commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Yes I did. Wiz is right. When I did my second Model A, I went to 12 volts negative ground with no changes in the horn. I's all in the adjustments.

I use the internal resistor. Yes, it gets hot when you sound the horn, but since my horn isn't sounded for long periods of time, it is o.k.

Comment

Cannot you rewind for 12?

Comment

I have used the internal resistor for quite a few years without a problem.
                      Alaskan A's
                      Antique Auto Mushers of Alaska
                      Model A Ford Club of America
                      Model A Restorers Club
                      Antique Automobile Club of America
                      Mullins Owners Club

Comment

Sounds like you can't go wrong with either style ..huh
                        3 ~ Tudor's
                        Henry Ford said
                        "It's all nuts and bolts"

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

Thanks for the replies - I’m planning to paint the horn along with the fenders, splash apron, headlight bar black.
                          Oh, and shoot the new tailgate green.

Comment

What kind of paint and process are you going to use?

Comment

Here's the internal horn resistor I have used:
                              You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                              This gallery has 1 photos.
                              Alaskan A's
                              Antique Auto Mushers of Alaska
                              Model A Ford Club of America
                              Model A Restorers Club
                              Antique Automobile Club of America
                              Mullins Owners Club

Comment

I vaguely remember reading about a Guy that hid an ignition coil inside the frame rail & ran the horn current through it, as a voltage drop. I don't know what type of ignition coil it was???
                                Dad
                                Last edited by BILL WILLIAMSON; 09-13-2018, 03:17 AM.

Comment