Model A trunk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Model A trunk

I finely saw a trunk on a sport coup that looked half way descent. Most are too large and look like the front end is about to come off the ground. Has anyone ever built a trunk or know if there are plans out there to build one?

You will probably never find one for sale. There are plans available on Google. I started to build one but changed my mind after the cost and skill came into reality. Our better suppliers have them and they look really good.

Comment

I've got some plans for a trunk that someone over at the BordFarn gave me, but I can't find the file. New trunks don't match the weathered patina of my phaeton anyway, so I keep an eye out for the right sized steel/tin shipping trunks - but most have been used as shed chairs by oversized dudes and the lids are all squashed in. Straight ones are pretty hard to find.
      Another idea I had was to get a new modern steel trunk like you would carry tools around in on the back of a ute, and give it a veneer of marine ply, including the lid. The steel gives the strength and the ply the finish. The ply could be given a "distressed" treatment for an aged look. Still working on that concept, but I reckon it's doable.
      I did manage to pick up a very straight steel trunk that's built just like a suitcase and around the same size. It'll go on my car nicely. It's just a weatherproof suitcase really and is light enough to carry like a suitcase at the end of the trip.
      If I find the plans, they're yours, Mud.
      Last edited by Hoogah; 09-03-2018, 10:23 AM.

Comment

Go to the MAFCA Site or Goggle Marshall Lewis Model A ford Trunk. The PDF I have is too large a file to upload here.
        Simple plans without compound curves made of Plywood and covered with top material, etc.

Comment

Thanks Plyfor, I was able to download and print the plans. This is great as I can custom make the dimensions fit the car.

Comment

Originally posted by carolinamudwalker View Post
            Thanks Plyfor, I was able to download and print the plans. This is great as I can custom make the dimensions fit the car.
            The Model A vendors appear to have the best price for the long (72") belts to wrap around the trunk and the plated locks, lifting leather handles,/hardware.
            Last edited by plyfor; 09-03-2018, 04:18 PM.

Comment

• carolinamudwalker
              carolinamudwalker commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks, I will check them out. I intended to chase down the hardware before even thinking of building one. And thank you Mitch for posting the plans, that's going above & beyond being nice.

Related Topics

Collapse

• Bobm90
            Build your own Custom Luggage Trunk
            by Bobm90
            I ran across a old gent at the last car show I attended, he had a gorgeous luggage trunk on his car that he built himself. He told me where to locate the plans for these. So if any of you may be interested and want a winter project and not know about this link from MAFCA, you can get the PDF there and print up a set of plans, I will post a picture of his finished trunk. On a test I had trouble just...
            09-23-2018, 09:06 AM
          • Apple Green Wheels Rule
            Trunk, Luggage or something else?
            by Apple Green Wheels Rule
            (To coincide with WW, BW and Oil)

I prefer same period luggage and other things rather than a trunk. I got one but it just didn't dress Sarah they way I wanted her to look. The trunk is covered with dust now. Glad I got the luggage when I did, seems value has went through the roof on Ebay.
            07-08-2017, 04:21 PM
          • Mark Maron
            Finally got a 29 ORIGINAL Trunk rack
            by Mark Maron
            Picked this up at Gettysburg from Caesar, had my eye on it from day 1, worked out great with VARCO trunk extenders, 1/4 steel is used for support and I'm very happy with this, now i need the trunk...:-) ::
            08-29-2017, 06:40 PM
          • smittykid
            Photo of curved back trunk?
            by smittykid
            Does anyone out there have a photo of a curved back trunk (no spare tire) mounted on a Victoria? Specifically, just like the one Snyder's sells. I'm picking up that 31 Victoria I've been looking at and sooner or later I'm going to install a luggage rack and trunk. My Roadster has no rear spare and it has a straight back trunk and it looks ok. Thanks, Smitty----- Ooops-sorry for the double post.
            06-09-2017, 05:58 AM
          • Mark Maron
            Just finished mounting my Custom Trunk
            by Mark Maron
            Have an original 29 trunk rack for My TS.. Mounted it and had a custom made trunk done to be the exact size needed. 16x32x19 high. Turned out incredible and along with the NEW Side mount its just what i wanted....
            02-20-2018, 02:24 PM
          • Mark Maron
            CUSTOM Made Trunk for sale, BRAND NEW
            by Mark Maron
            I have another custom made trunk ready to go, 33x13x19 and fits all standard stainless or chrome Model A Racks. NOT for the early steel racks!. Ready to go
            525.00 + Shipping.. located in WI, (usually 105.00 to CA). This is a STRAIGHT Back Trunk.
            Trunk is MINT because it is NEW.. Contact me for any questions, i did NOT make this and am selling for the builder....
            03-12-2018, 02:10 PM
          • Soapy
            Trunk Handle
            by Soapy
            I need to know which direction the trunk handle on my 1930 Coupe should be pointing when the trunk is closed. I have looked in the books and on the site but all I can see is rumble seat handles and spare tires. I am assuming that it probably faces down, but we all know what assumptions are worth.
            06-01-2019, 12:00 PM
          • Big guy
            Trunk on 29 Tudor.
            by Big guy
            Were trunks standard equipment on Tudors or were they options on all of the cars. Are there brands that would be considered correct. I have my eye on a nice Bigler brand trunk but do not know if it would be correct to put on my 29 Tudor. My current trunk is very straight metal without any identifying marks that I can find. Which would be considered proper?
            01-24-2019, 02:50 PM
          • DaWizard
            KariKeen Trunk
            by DaWizard
            Well, as some of you may know, I have been hunting for a decent KariKeen trunk for the back of my Tudor. Well, good news, I found one and it is currently on it's way to my house via uship.com.

So, just to give you a tease, and thank Pluck for the write up on them, I will post a couple pictures here and if you are good boys and girls, I will post the build onto the car. Now, one thing
            04-14-2019, 08:51 PM
          • Grover
            Another Birthday Present
            by Grover
            Along with the non-torque cylinder head wrench posted yesterday I also received this:

Of course it is a reproduction but the old one was also. Problem was it was rusting after 14 years. Noticed the inside of the racks don't get much plating and when installing a trunk, that is the top side. You will notice the slats are original unlike the cheap wood they furnish. I salvaged...
            07-27-2018, 02:35 PM
          Working...
          X