Roadster Front Spring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roadster Front Spring

Installed a new spring about a year ago and I have noticed a "hard/stiff" front end ride with shocks adjusted 3/8 turn out. The new rear spring with shocks at 1/4 turn out works great.
    I did notice that the shock arm ball is unseated on the left as I was taking these photos. From floor to center of bumper measures 19-3/8". Looking at the shackles angle position, am I missing something? Is the spring sagging too much? Thanks!
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 3 photos.

Looks like the spring is weak or to long.. Hope is was a good one. Someone forget to temper the spring?
    “A Law is never considered a Law until the Law is enforced and the conviction/penalty is enforced by the Law Enforcement and Courts”.

Comment

What year car ? Center of bumper for '30/31 supposed to be 18.5"; '29 18 3/4" +/- as an approx. check with stock wheels, tires.. How many leaves ?
      Last edited by plyfor; 08-31-2018, 01:25 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by plyfor View Post
        What year car ? Center of bumper for '30/31 supposed to be 18.5"; '29 18 3/4" +/- as an approx. check with stock wheels, tires.. How many leaves ?
        Feb of 1930 - I purchased the "show-quality" 7 leaf spring. My car is stock with exception of Snyder head.

There's a company A-Springs or something like that - I will give them a call. In the meantime I will pull the spring and take a measurement. I will take a measurement as in photo too.
        Last edited by 40B1930; 08-31-2018, 01:53 AM.

Comment

• Tom Wesenberg
          Tom Wesenberg commented
          Editing a comment
          The front spring is a 10 leaf, so if you have only 7, someone sold you the wrong spring.

• plyfor
          plyfor commented
          Editing a comment
          We just installed a rear A -spring with good results. The front should be 10 leaf per the Service Bulletins and Judging Stds.

Also, looks like rust between the leaves.....................
        Paul in CT

Comment

Does your drag link rub the tie rod? Just curious
          3 ~ Tudor's
          Henry Ford said
          "It's all nuts and bolts"

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

• 40B1930
            40B1930 commented
            Editing a comment
            I am wrong on the spring leaf count - the seven spring I believe was for the rear (roadster) and I was definitely sold the correct spring for the front by a very reliable major parts company. No - good clearance with a stock pitman - Wednesday when I went home early to adjust the fingers on the pressure plate, I finally installed the shortened version of the Pitman with an original Ford script drag link I buried myself in off ebay - but - at least I got exactly what I thought I was buying - true NOS. I plan on calling "A-Springs" when I have a chance and purchase my 2nd new spring in the past year. I thought I had bought the right spring from one of our suppliers, they were advertising it as "show quality." Not a big deal - onward! lol

My shackle positions look similar to yours. This is on Lucy

As mentioned it should have 10 leafs
          You do not have permission to view this gallery.
          This gallery has 1 photos.
          3 ~ Tudor's
          Henry Ford said
          "It's all nuts and bolts"

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

• 40B1930
            40B1930 commented
            Editing a comment
            Thank you for making the time for the photo Mitch - you saved me another $250 bucks! Our shackles are comparable in height. I will mess with the shocks again tonight. I fixed the right side shock last night with no clue to how it came apart at the top. I will Joanne Stipe a call and ask if she can fax me the info again on my shocks. I saw a note that I set the fronts at 3/8 of a turn out and the rears at 1/4 turn. The back is awesome and the front is a hard ride. Thanks

• Mitch
            Mitch commented
            Editing a comment
            The front springs are 10 leaf. Your are probably good to go there..
            Tire over inflation can cause a hard ride.. just sayin...lol

You must have a surveillance camera in my shop! lol. I setup my new air compressor and I check my tires daily. They are kept at 35lbs - I will try 34lbs on the front. The Firestones seem to ride different than my Goodyears. I reset the front shocks to 3/4 open last night. This morning I get to go on a 70 mile roundtrip drive - meaning I will have put 420 miles on my new motor and hopefully have all the bugs worked out of the car. Thanks again for all your help! Have an awesome holiday!
          Last edited by 40B1930; 09-01-2018, 06:43 AM.

Comment

• Tom Wesenberg
            Tom Wesenberg commented
            Editing a comment
            Hope your new springs have lubrication between the leaves. Good lubrication makes for a nice ride.

I used the "Slip-Plate" that was recommended in the "Red Book." It took me a couple weekends to prep the spring for install. lol I plan on removing it when the rains set in and verify that the slip-plate is doing its job.

Comment