Snap near coil when timing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Snap near coil when timing

While timing my Model A today, I was able to hear a snapping sound near and/or in the coil when I was opening and closing the points. The points are sparking and the car is running. Any clues on the noise?
    Last edited by Paul; 08-24-2018, 07:02 PM.

Best to ground the coil wire when doing jobs like this. That high voltage is looking for ground and will take the easiest path, even if it means jumping along the coil tower to the metal body. Once a carbon track gets established it's much easier for the spark to continue to follow that path.

Comment

Thanks

Comment

Sometimes I take a jumper wire that has two alligator clips. Connect one to the end of the coil wire and the other to a good ground.
        3 ~ Tudor's
        Henry Ford said
        "It's all nuts and bolts"

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• WMWS
          Coil effecting speedometer
          by WMWS
          Today I changed out my coil to the flame thrower 40111. My electric tachometer is hooked up to the coil. Now my tac is showing fast for some reason. Any idea why.
          09-09-2017, 07:11 PM
        • Fixitphil
          Coil Wiring
          by Fixitphil
          When converting my A to 12 volt I've heard that you have to switch the two primary wires on the coil. Which small primary wire goes to positive and which to negative side of coil?
          02-22-2019, 09:55 AM
        • pooch
          Crab electronic coil ohms.
          by pooch
          Helped a mate with an electronic Efire crab dizzy today.

Would not go, after a couple of hours we found 2 things wrong.

Firstly the magnet drum had to be pushed right home to work and we could not get a 3 ohm coil to run.

Got it running on a 1.2 ohm coil.

Whether the 3 ohm one is dead or electronics don't like 3 ohms.

12 volt...
          12-24-2018, 12:50 AM
        • Afordman31
          Coil Mounting
          by Afordman31
          Any pictures of where to mount the modern coil when using the coil conversion kit?...
          02-06-2019, 09:44 AM
        • Chap52
          Ignition Coil Question
          by Chap52
          My coil is not marked "+"/"-" but "Batt" and "Dist". How do those markings align with +/-?
          11-01-2018, 07:27 PM
        • Ray Horton
          Slant pole coil question
          by Ray Horton
          I have what I think is an original slant pole coil in my box-o-stuff. How can I determine if it is a good working one or not?
          11-28-2017, 09:09 PM
        • canadian
          friendly discussion
          by canadian
          I have read about the big no no about mounting a ignition coil, terminals down on Model A firewall. I have a NAPA 12V internal resistor mounted upside down for 3 years. Brother rumbles by with 72 dodge Demon , nice 340 , while looking around I noticed ignition coil bolted on its side to intake manifold , factory dodge design. the same coil that I am using exactly, He says its been there for 15 plus...
          05-12-2018, 06:18 AM
        • plyfor
          12 volt neg. ground wiring for coil, etc.
          by plyfor
          Attached is a dwg. from the net that may be helpful. It also shows how to locate a condenser away from the dizzy and up at the firewall. If an oil filled coil is used, the diagram has the terminals facing up requiring a longer coil to dizzy wire....
          02-13-2018, 06:15 PM
        • 1930 Closed Cab PU
          Points arcing spark
          by 1930 Closed Cab PU
          Starting a string separately from the long string I have on backfiring.

Yesterday I noticed something. With than Coil High Tension dist. lead disconnected and timing my motor, noticed the flash/spark at the points was extremely intense bright blue. It made a define loud snapping sound. It was much brighter then what a spark plug looks like when firing.

Then I replaced...
          04-09-2019, 10:15 AM
        • plyfor
          Condensor at Firewall/coil
          by plyfor
          Is there any issue with mounting the condenser up at the coil? 12 volt system with 16ga wire, internal resistor coil, etc. .
          03-11-2018, 07:55 PM
        Working...
        X