Door opening

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Door opening

Is there an easy way to allow the passengers door on my pickup to open wider?
    Alaskan A's
    Antique Auto Mushers of Alaska
    Model A Ford Club of America
    Model A Restorers Club
    Antique Automobile Club of America
    Mullins Owners Club

Well you could remove the door stop but you'd run the risk of the door opening too wide and damaging the hinges

Comment

The straps come in different lengths, do you happen to have the short ones on it? Shorts are used with fenders mounted spare tires only.
      CB the Wonderful

Comment

Do you have the metal check bar, or the flexible straps?
        As Corley said, the straps come in different lengths, but the metal is also adjustable by pinning the rubber at different locations.

With no fender mounted spare, I think the door should open straight out.
        Last edited by Tom Wesenberg; 08-10-2018, 10:36 AM.

Comment

There should be a few slots on the door check arm so you can adjust how far the door opens.
          You do not have permission to view this gallery.
          This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Thanks guys, I do have the metal door check. I will have to check and see where the rubber stops are set. If the door could open out to a 90 degree opening, it would make getting in a lot easier for my wife. I don't know if any of the stops on the arm like Bob shows will do that though. Wonder if they make them longer?
            Alaskan A's
            Model A Restorers Club
            Mullins Owners Club

Comment

• George Miller
              George Miller commented
              Editing a comment
              my 30 pickup opens about 90 degrees

Carl; remove the kick panel and see if the (thick) rubber bumper is attached to the check arm. Sometimes the bumper can be shaved or a thin rubber washer used instead when it hits up against the square pad secured to the jamb.

Comment

OK, I've removed the kick panel and have removed the front door check arm. It does not look like what Bob shows in post #5, but it does look like the one in Snyder's catalog. Looking in Bratton's catalog, I see one like Bob shows above. They also have one that is a little longer (used for the back doors on 4-door models).

Looks like I just need to order the Brattons parts. Thanks guys.
              Alaskan A's
              Model A Restorers Club
              Mullins Owners Club

Comment

• CarlG
                CarlG commented
                Editing a comment
                Parts ordered.

Just a follow-up.

I ordered check arms from Bratton's. They listed 2 different ones, one for front doors, and one for the rear doors on 4-door sedans. I went ahead and ordered both, since it looked like in their catalog that the rear door one would allow the door to open a little wider.

The picture below shows (L to R): the check arm that was in my pickup (which is like the one pictured in Snyder's catalog); Bratton's front door check; and Bratton's rear door check. You can see the difference in length, which determines how wide the door will open. (In the picture, the rubber stops are adjusted at the widest setting.)

Ultimately, I chose to install Bratton's rear door check. It allows the door to open more than 90 degrees. The front door check would have been OK as well, it stops the door right at 90 degrees. (Both at the widest setting.)

I do not intend on changing the Driver's door, as currently, it stops the door just before hitting the spare.
              You do not have permission to view this gallery.
              This gallery has 1 photos.
              Alaskan A's
              Model A Restorers Club
              Mullins Owners Club

Comment