Pistons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pistons

Well, got the pistons and con rods out of the block today as I am finished for now on the "craft shed" for the kidlet.

Much to my dismay, none, nada, zip con rods have shims on the big ends!

There is also something I have not seen before, pistons with not just one compression ring, not two, but three compression rings!! Plus the normal oil ring!!

Now, it is a good thing that I don't need to replace the rings as they all look to be in decent enough shape to run another mile or 12. But I am curious, who, with a small shield and an S in it makes four ring pistons?
    You wana look waaay far up da road and plan yer route because the brakes are far more of a suggestion than a command!

Way back in the day they use to sell 4 ring pistons. If the ring groves are the right I would use 3 rings. the rings today are much better than the old ones. If you do not like that idea maybe use one of the old rings for the forth ring.

Comment

If you do decide to skip the 3rd compression ring look at the bottom of that ring land first. If it has drilled gas vent holes to the inside of the piston do NOT operate without a ring in that groove. Con rod splash oil will flood the land, defeating the lower oil control ring.

Comment

Originally posted by MikeK View Post
        If you do decide to skip the 3rd compression ring look at the bottom of that ring land first. If it has drilled gas vent holes to the inside of the piston do NOT operate without a ring in that groove. Con rod splash oil will flood the land, defeating the lower oil control ring.
        Now that is a good tip to look out for, so you don't end up with a crop duster.
        3 ~ Tudor's
        Henry Ford said
        "It's all nuts and bolts"

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

I think the "S in a shield" was Sterling Pistons. Mike K is absolutely correct about gas vent holes, that would be a very easy way to make a big mistake.

Comment

Well, just to ease your minds, I plan to use the pistons as is since they are scoreless and the rings look very good. So I will keep the 4 rings intact as is, no changes to engine #1. I plan to do a wee bit of valve work because they are crusty, new adjustable tappets, tighten up the rods and mains a bit and slap this beast back together with a new cam gear and be done with it. I will be pulling the pressurized engine out and checking why it has noises, I suspect the pump at fault as well as aluminum timing gear.

This engine (#1) was running very well before I blew the U-joint and only pulled it because I blew the U-joint, and had the pressurized engine that I thought finished, and swapped out both, but now that I know there are more problems with engine #2 (pressurized mains only) I will do more work to that and maybe see about a test stand as I don't like using the car for a test stand.

Stay tuned for info as it becomes available.
            You wana look waaay far up da road and plan yer route because the brakes are far more of a suggestion than a command!

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• Dennis
              3 ring pistons
              by Dennis
              I've heard of this in the past and might have seen some pictures, but as far as I've been able to find were rings for pistons with 2 grooves and the oil ring. Anybody know where to find rings for a 3 ring piston?
              08-05-2019, 02:27 AM
            • Chuck Sea/Tac
              Old pistons
              by Chuck Sea/Tac
              im tearing an engine down, and it has ford .045" pistons with center lock wrist pins.my question is regarding the rings. The upper slot has a .012" spacer so it can use the same size ring as the middle slot. Yes, different size slots. The middle has one inch pieces stacked underneath the ring, so as to push the ring tighter to the cylinder wall. Whether these were originally one solid ring,...
              06-16-2017, 12:51 PM
            • pooch
              Rings moving
              by pooch
              Do piston rings move around the piston in normal use?

Like, if I take care to set gap positions all correctly, is it a waste of time?

I once read of a guy who said it was imperative to set the top ring gap directly opposite the exhaust valve , then I think he said set the next gap at 180 , then set the oil ring gap upwards (on a V8).

What do the...
              03-08-2019, 12:20 AM
            • George Miller
              Do any of the piston manufactures make pistons that take a modern narrow rings.
              by George Miller
              Narrow rings in IMHOP work better than wide rings. nWhat do you think.
              01-20-2018, 05:48 PM
            • Dennis
              Ford pistons
              by Dennis
              Recently at one of our seminars we pulled an engine, dissassembled and measured the mains and rods. I have never stumbled onto original Ford pistons so I thought I'd throw this out there. I assume Ford made all of their own pistons ... maybe not? I couldn't find a part number on them but did find a name inside and of course Ford with an arrow going through the name. There were no indications of...
              You do not have permission to view this gallery.
              This gallery has 6 photos.
              02-03-2019, 01:36 PM
            • SAJ
              Piston Expander. "Koetherizer"
              by SAJ
              I posted this on "another"forum in response to others and thought it might prove interesting on VFF
              "I have a piston expander called a Koetherizer. Invented by Emil Koether in the Early 1930's. You clean the piston internally by blasting with walnut shells in the right hand chamber of the machine. Then insert the special squeeze bolt through the gudgeon holes, tighten the bolt...
              You do not have permission to view this gallery.
              This gallery has 2 photos.
              03-07-2019, 03:45 AM
            • tbirdtbird
              If pistons could talk....with pix
              by tbirdtbird
              Pictured on the left is an old school Model A piston with an archaic design from the '20s, '30s, '40s.
              On the right is a Model A piston of modern design, a design adapted by all car manufacturers many decades ago. The skirt is short and the rings narrow. Inspect the features of the two yourself; you need not be an engineer. You only need common sense to answer the following 3 questions:...
              07-23-2017, 06:48 PM
            • George Miller
              What is the advantage of putting sleeves in and going back to standard.
              by George Miller
              I under stand if you can not go bigger. But it sounds like some put sleeves in even if they have room to bore more.
              01-19-2018, 10:33 AM
            • dmdeaton
              Piston Ring Compressor
              by dmdeaton
              Actually need one for the T engine I am working on now, but would like to get one for the A pistons also. Whats your favorite? I am looking at all these nice tapered adjustable ones that look pretty slick. I always had one of the coil spring metal ones for years, but it walked off. The bore on the T is
              3.748-3.749"
              11-28-2019, 12:31 PM
            • DaWizard
              Reseat rings
              by DaWizard
              Something has been troubling me today.

I can't remember if I heard or read something about reseating rings in a somewhat tired engine. The use of baking soda or borax or a gentle abrasive as such would reseat the rings in a tired engine.

What, if anything have you learned or heard over your lifetime about helping out a tired engine?
              05-13-2018, 06:00 PM
            Working...
            X