Installing glass in windshield

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Installing glass in windshield

I bought some setting material from Mitch several months ago. I will be installing the glass in the frame for my 29 phaeton soon. I am wondering if I should use any liquid, like something slick, to help the setting material/glass go into the frame. Maybe the glass/setting material will go into the frame OK with nothing, but I am not sure. I have never installed windshield glass in an open car frame. I installed glass on a closed car a few years ago and used bar clamps and padding to force the glass into the frame, but open car windshield frames are much different. Any help from someone that has done it before or knows a good way to install the glass would be appreciated.
    Rusty Nelson

Rusty I use a little bit of silicone spray on the glass. Just a tad enough to make it slippery. The cork may be wider than the channel so once the glass is installed in the frame then trim it even. You may not know this but we had a VFF workshop at Brent's in the spring doing different projects. Here are a couple videos of Larry Shepard installing a glass. Use this as your guide and don't worry about breaking it because it can take a pounding. LOL Tom W was his assistant

2 1930 Tudors

Henry Ford said
    "It's all nuts and bolts"

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

Ah.....Mitch and Tom.... that was a great time. Toms skilled helping hands and everyone else’s help as well and my crazy pounding we got it done!

What a a great time !

I said at the time to buy two windshields but alas only one was needed. Good thing as we only had one that day!
      larry Shepard

Comment

• BNCHIEF
        BNCHIEF commented
        Editing a comment
        Nothing like working with a pack of jokers, talk about a little rascals moment.

You got that right Larry.. I'm still cracking up, what a good time we had
      2 1930 Tudors

Henry Ford said

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

Originally posted by Mitch View Post
        Rusty I use a little bit of silicone spray on the glass. Just a tad enough to make it slippery. The cork may be wider than the channel so once the glass is installed in the frame then trim it even. You may not know this but we had a VFF workshop at Brent's in the spring doing different projects. Here are a couple videos of Larry Shepard installing a glass. Use this as your guide and don't worry about breaking it because it can take a pounding. LOL Tom W was his assistant

So!! That's Tom, I thought you were younger!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Larry, when you install Sarah new windshield this winter, remember, RUBBER MALLET, not the steel one!!!!
        Last edited by Apple Green Wheels Rule; 08-06-2018, 03:38 AM.
        "Bullshit and Brilliance Comes with Age and Experience"

Comment

I am younger...........I'm the same age as Jack Benny, 39.

Comment

So!! That's Tom, I thought he would be better looking!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by old31 View Post
              I think your looking at the guy on the left
              2 1930 Tudors

Henry Ford said

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

Originally posted by old31 View Post
                Definitely not as good looking like I am!!!! In fact, to be fair to Tom, I don't see anyone in that video as good looking as I am.
                "Bullshit and Brilliance Comes with Age and Experience"

Comment

I watched the videos and think Larry needed a Big Hammer, wish I could have been there!

Comment

I'm told that any glass shop that can handle safety glass (Which is just about all of them) can seat and bed your windshield. Make sure you get one with a "Bug" etched on the window, insuring that it's safety glass. Safety glass is two layers with a plastic sheet in between and the whole thing is laminated or "sandwiched" together. I like to take them apart and thoroughly clean the slot and paint it before giving them to the Glassman. Check around and see if there's any old timers who have patterns. Me, I hate working with glass so it's easier for me to let him install it too. He cut's it, and beds it and gives you a finished windshield for one money. Mine was $150. I have heard of cheaper prices, but when the Mod. A vendors are getting $199 +ship. And that price doesn't include installation, the $150 sounds pretty good. Good luck!
                    Terry

Comment