Barn find my new project 1931 Roadster

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Barn find my new project 1931 Roadster

IMG_2275.JPG Barn find to bad the barn burned down with the car in it.

Great find George, but I'm not sure that will buff out. You may need to take a clay bar to get the oxidation off it first.
    You wana look waaay far up da road and plan yer route because the brakes are far more of a suggestion than a command!

Comment

• George Miller
      George Miller commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm going to use a big buffer. I always seem to do it the hard way, but I got to save it.

• pAAt
      pAAt commented
      Editing a comment
      George, how long ago did the barn burn down ?

• devoreb
      devoreb commented
      Editing a comment
      George maybe Pat will bring his buffer and some jb weld?

• George Miller
      George Miller commented
      Editing a comment
      Pat The man I got the car from said 8 to 10 years

Oh, I have no doubt you can save it, just might take a wee bit of work. I would like to request a full pictorial account.

Wish we were closer George, I'd donate all my free time helping save it!
    You wana look waaay far up da road and plan yer route because the brakes are far more of a suggestion than a command!

Comment

• George Miller
      George Miller commented
      Editing a comment
      I think I can do the picture thing. It will be a little while before I start on it. It is not to my place yet.

• Beauford
      Beauford commented
      Editing a comment
      I think mine was related. Bahahahahaha!

George...where's the barn?

Comment

• George Miller
      George Miller commented
      Editing a comment
      It burned to the ground with the car inside. The car was left there for a few years it still is. I hope to get it out of there soon. It was a real nice car before the fire. I hope to make it a nice car again.
      Last edited by George Miller; 07-18-2018, 11:13 PM.

George, is this to be stock or modified?

Comment

• George Miller
      George Miller commented
      Editing a comment
      It is going to be stock.

George another piece of cake restoration.
    I’ll start looking now for your next one to present you with a bit of a challenge.
    Thanks for saving another. Looking forward to following that here.
    3~ Tudor's & 1~ Coupe
    Henry Ford said,
    "It's all nuts and bolts"
    "Start by doing what's necessary; then do what's possible; and suddenly you are doing the impossible."

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

• George Miller
      George Miller commented
      Editing a comment
      First thing going to do is start it just for the fun of it. maybe I will drive it on the steel wheels up the drive way.
      Last edited by George Miller; 07-19-2018, 06:59 AM.

• George Miller
      George Miller commented
      Editing a comment
      I think I might have one, not sure yet. I keep saying this will be my last one. then I find another one.

Too bad the hood got dented, I do see a good bumper clamp on it. Seriously good luck with that project !!
    “If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.” (Will Rogers).

Comment

• George Miller
      George Miller commented
      Editing a comment
      The fire men hooked a chain to the bumper and pulled the bumper off so the clamps are broken. They tired but could not get it out of the barn. but the center one is still there. The bumper is just sitting on the bumper brackets.
      Last edited by George Miller; 07-19-2018, 08:20 AM.

• George Miller
      George Miller commented
      Editing a comment
      The top of the hood is probably done for. The beams in the barn damaged hood, windshield frame and right rear quarter panel. I also worried about the bottom of the fenders and body from setting in the debris.

Did any of the panels warp any from the heat?
    3~ Tudor's & 1~ Coupe
    Henry Ford said,
    "Start by doing what's necessary; then do what's possible; and suddenly you are doing the impossible."

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

• George Miller
      George Miller commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes the doors have a bigger radius from the top to the bottom. at the bottom they are close to being right. But that is from the frame being bent down from the beams hitting just behind the doors from the roof of the building. I think they can be straighten.
      The heat looks like it was not real bad, because it never melted the solder in the radiator
      Last edited by George Miller; 07-19-2018, 10:22 AM.

I guess there are now guns in NC, if that is where it was found. No bullet holes that I can see. You can do it. Great find.
    Two types of teachers:
    1. To teach what THEY know.
    2. To impart knowledge for You.

Comment

• George Miller
      George Miller commented
      Editing a comment
      The guy lives right next to where it is, I'm sure no one messed with it. He is also a friend of mine.

George, when you get it out of there please post some pictures of all angles it will be interesting to see what's left of the under carriage and back of the body. This may make the best "before and after" photo album ever!! This may also become the most extreme save ever, wonder if any of the members ever saw a more needy barn find ?
    “If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.” (Will Rogers).

Comment

• Ayyy
      Ayyy commented
      Editing a comment
      I've seen a bit worse, but it's not done yet, even after many years.

It is going to be stock, but not sure what color for the body. What do you think. I think it is a standard 31 roadster.

Comment

• DaWizard
      DaWizard commented
      Editing a comment
      Hey George, if it was a standard roadster, why not make it black on black with maybe a vermilion stripe and wheels?

• George Miller
      George Miller commented
      Editing a comment
      I was kind of thinking black or blue. I realy like blue but I got two blue A's now. So black will be on the list of a posable color. I seen black deluxe one time and it was really sharp.

• DaWizard
      DaWizard commented
      Editing a comment
      You know, there were a lot of vermilion red stripes and wheels, but somehow it has become lost information over the years....I would like to see a comeback. Anyone can do the fire engine red stripes and wheels, but not anyone can do vermilion.

well we got it out, not to good of shape. but we are going to fix it. IMG_2291.JPGIMG_2290.JPG

Comment

• George Miller
      George Miller commented
      Editing a comment
      a picture before the fire. and the car after the fire. does not look like the same car.
      Last edited by George Miller; 07-22-2018, 08:38 PM.

• Mitch
      Mitch commented
      Editing a comment
      Yikes.. this will be a good one

• George Miller
      George Miller commented
      Editing a comment
      If I have enough time left it will get done, maybe not a show car but a nice driver. All I have to do is take it one bite at a time. better give me a year on this one I' not a kid any more.

• Mitch
      Mitch commented
      Editing a comment
      Get an extra large camera card as well

OK George, the year long stop watch has started.

Comment

• George Miller
      George Miller commented
      Editing a comment
      Ok I better mark it on my calendar

• Mitch
      Mitch commented
      Editing a comment
      We'll keep track of the time for you.. At 6 months you'll get an automated notification popup

• Tom Wesenberg
      Tom Wesenberg commented
      Editing a comment
      Going to have it at Brent's next year?

Was all the lower rust just from the fire, ash, and getting wet, or were those areas filled with bondo that got burned out?

• George Miller
      George Miller commented
      Editing a comment
      Tom at this point I do not know. I was not there when they lifted it from the grave. But my guise is from all the ash and setting in a wet area. It still there not sure what day I will get it. Probably won't make it to Brent's but will look a lot better.
      Last edited by George Miller; 07-23-2018, 06:24 AM.

Wow, now that's a project car, looks like the "Morris from hell" that I resurrected . It looks like the frame bent when they lifted her from the grave, hard to believe the rear wheel was eaten away like that. We all turn to dust someday, except Car guys - they rust away !!

Comment

This ones for sale on the ****, maybe you can use it for a parts car.
      You do not have permission to view this gallery.
      This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Damn that looks better than what I started with....how much?

Comment

Going to get my roadster tomorrow, then I will get the T maybe this week.

Comment

Originally posted by Beauford View Post
            Damn that looks better than what I started with....how much?
            $2950 https://www.*************.com/forum/...duced.1115787/

Comment

That's not a barn find, that's a field find!

As Wayne says, it has great PATINA. He will leave the PATINA as is, have his ace mechanic clean the carb, bring it to Barrett and make a zillion dollars at the auction.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob C View Post
                This ones for sale on the ****, maybe you can use it for a parts car.
                Looks similar to Sarah before I restored her.
                "Bullshit and Brilliance Comes with Age and Experience"

Comment

got it home not in good shape. I,m going to take it all apart, then re assemble. IMG_2324.JPGIMG_2325.JPGIMG_2327.JPGIMG_2329.JPGIMG_2330.JPGIMG_2331.JPG

Comment

I agree with you George. That is a rough ombre. yikes
                    3~ Tudor's & 1~ Coupe
                    Henry Ford said,

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

Up date I tore it all apart, not much good left. Good parts are radiator shell, Cowl can be reused, front axle, maybe left rear quarter panel. Transmission is locked up can not get it off the drive shaft. Rear axle housing is bent down a lot, rear spring is bent all the way down, frame is bent way down, no sub frame left. The surprising thing is the engine turns it seemed to have one valve sticking. It will probably run, most of the heat was in the rear of the car. So I,m going to do the 23 T coupe first. The roadster can rest in peace for now.

Comment

• JDupuis
                        JDupuis commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Thanks for updating us.
                        Sounds best to be parts. Too bad.

Well I had a little time so I put the engine in my test stand. The rear 2 plugs were rusted so bad that i had to use a pipe wrench to get them out. Put in to old plugs I had. starter switch was burned up from the fire. so I used a solenoid. dist was left on the engine so it was rusted up bad, replaced it with a spare I had. Put on a carb because it was missing.changed the oil, checked for oil pressure. Hit the starter and with less than 4 turns it was running, it sounds real good. you just never know.

Comment

• Mitch
                        Mitch commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Amazing Love it. Just getting a good motor out of it was worth it. I'm sure the trans and diff may be fine too

• George Miller
                        George Miller commented
                        Editing a comment
                        So far I have not been able to get them apart, but will try until i do get them apart.
                        The radiator shell is good and the head lights. so it is worth the work.

• Bobm90
                        Bobm90 commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I knew this car had potential, just needs some TLC