Water Flushing Pump

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Water Flushing Pump

Can someone who used a sump pump to flush there engines out for rust tell me what size motor your pump had. If I go this route I want to be sure it will be powerful enough to do the job. Thanks

The $5 garage sale pump I used is 1/3 HP and 1725 RPM. Imperial brand pedestal pump.

Comment

Thanks Tom

Comment

I found one of these for $40.00 last year on ebay.
        https://www.ebay.com/itm/Flotec-FPPM...sid=m570.l1313
        1/3 hp 3480 gal per hr. At 5 ft discharge level above pump, 3000 gal per hr.
        Last edited by Dennis; 07-19-2018, 12:16 PM.

Comment

Model A Flushing Pumps ...... If Intended For Cleaning?

One thing to consider is that the insides of an 80+ year old engine/radiator does not have a smooth, vitreous china surface like that of a normal commercial toilet which keeps clean with only simple standing water and forced water flushing action.

For "positive" flushing, one would be wise to consider at least one of many chemicals to "chemically" cut through grease/rust/dirt embedded in the "rough", porous metal surfaces of cast iron and "rough" white mineral build up in radiators.

In fact, in my opinion, introducing one of the best cleansing products like POR 15 Marine Clean accompanied by the mild action of a normal Model A water pump, could clean "rough"surfaces far better than connecting an 80+ year old Model A cooling system to (3) violent high pressure fire truck water pumps.

Just trying to assist anyone on this Forum in sharing past Model A radiator/engine cleaning experiences.
          Last edited by H. L. Chauvin; 07-19-2018, 01:20 PM.

Comment

• Dennis
            Dennis commented
            Editing a comment
            I used Tom W. idea on flushing and he suggested where to buy a pump and demonstrated in past his results. It worked for me...

Well I found a guy on my local Craigslist that had some pumps for sale. After looking at them I decided to purchase a pool pump from him which I paid $40 for it has a 1hp motor and seems to work well.
          You do not have permission to view this gallery.
          This gallery has 2 photos.

Comment

• Hoogah
            Hoogah commented
            Editing a comment
            Does this have to be a sealed system and the pump primed to get it to work?

• Mitch
            Mitch commented
            Editing a comment
            Hoogah
            Here is the tech thread on the procedure.

https://www.vintagefordforum.com/for...=7829#post7829

• copgib
            copgib commented
            Editing a comment
            I checked the pump to ensure it was pumping water, I believe it will do the job.

Related Topics

Collapse

• Rumbler
          Identify my water pump
          by Rumbler
          I bought a 1917 Model T Touring this summer and it has an aftermarket water pump configuration as shown below. This pump leaks water past the shaft and I would like to either fix it or remove and replace with original (no pump) parts. The engine is a 1922 vintage. Can someone identify this water pump and is it worth trying to re-pack the seal to keep it? My inclination is to return to the original...
          10-28-2020, 09:51 PM
        • George Miller
          External water pump
          by George Miller
          Here is one answer to over heating. use a push water pump....
          01-28-2020, 06:31 PM
        • Bob C
          Restored Water Pump
          by Bob C
          Saw this on Ebay https://www.ebay.com/itm/1928-1931-F...peRIZ4&vxp=mtr...
          This gallery has 1 photos.
          04-12-2020, 11:55 AM
        • saxman657
          Water Pump ID
          by saxman657
          I was removing my old water pump and fan the other day. Can anyone identify this type of water pump? It doesn’t look like a standard Ford Model A water pump....
          This gallery has 1 photos.
          09-18-2020, 05:06 PM
        • Fixitphil
          Water Pump
          by Fixitphil
          Has anyone ever seen a water pump like the one pictured? I was told that it came from Montgomery Wards?
          Is the grease fitting real or phony?
          Also, can anyone tell me about a "Bulldog" (rebuilt) Model A engine. Supposedly rebuilt in Turlock, CA.
          Thanks,
          Phil
          05-03-2019, 12:40 PM
        • Bob C
          Short Water Pump
          by Bob C
          Anybody know what this water pump could be for? I thought maybe an overhead conversion but I can't find any that use a pump like this.
          06-20-2018, 12:12 PM
        • thom
          Time to deal with my leaking water pump
          by thom
          The water pump on our '28 coupe has begun to leak again. I have tightened up the packing nut a couple of times but it's time to do something else. I thinking about one of the pumps with the modern bearings. Any disadvantages?
          10-27-2020, 10:27 AM
        • Greynomad
          Tell me about this water pump.
          by Greynomad

The picture is from an ebay listing....
          01-03-2021, 04:01 PM
        • DaWizard
          Electric Water Pump
          by DaWizard

Let's try this again...

Call me crazy, insane, or just plain bonkers, I AM an electronics Wizard, have been since 1975 when I started my second electronics job repairing stereos and CB radios. I have been and always will be a gadget freak, so naturally, I rewired my Model A to 12v neg chassis. Also I likes LEDs

Now, because we are now 12v, the next step in this
          07-23-2017, 10:43 PM
        • Dennis
          Water pump impeller
          by Dennis
          Anybody here running a cut down impeller on their water pump? I can't believe how much better mine cools since I trimmed it down....
          06-05-2019, 07:49 PM
        Working...
        X