Recommendation for Timing Equipment

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recommendation for Timing Equipment

In 1972 when my time in the USMCR ended I found myself with some free time on weekends I wasn't working. I enrolled in a local vocational tech school to learn auto electronics and timing. It lasted four Saturdays: the first Saturday was on theory while the second and third Saturdays were hands-on. The fourth Saturday was the relatively "new" electronic ignition system. Time passes. My wife is now in heaven, my children are happily married, and I have the greatest grandchildren in the world! In February I acquired a 1957 Thunderbird from the family of the original buyer. It has 48,000 miles on it (800 miles/yr average) and sometime, not now, in the future I am going to need to acquire some new tune-up equipment for it's ignition system. I am thinking I will need a good timing gun, a good dwell meter, a good compression tester (system?) and a good instruction booklet. I would appreciate recommendations as to each piece of equipment or a "kit." Thank you.

Well Bud ya know you are a blessed man. We have our first grandchild coming and her due date is this friday. It's going to be a precious girl, and ya know what the funny part of this is? My name is not going to be poppop or grandpa etc. It's going to be BUD. So I know for sure that is a cool name This is the first of many I hope in the very near future. I know how you have a Model A for each of your Grand kids so I had better start getting to work. I can foresee at least 6-8 total. LOL

Regarding your timing light, get one that has the advance feature and a built in tach. Dwell meter you really shouldn't need if your point gap is set properly. I mostly used a dwell meter on the GM's with the window adjusted points set up. Compression tester? Well if your car is running good hopefully you'll never need one of those either

2 1930 Tudors

Henry Ford said
    "It's all nuts and bolts"

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

Well, well! Congratulations Mitch! "This Bud is for you" will have special meaning to you and the family! When the baby girl gets a SSN, Grandma and Grandpa will have to start a 529 account-and buy or rehab more Model A's! But, sons-in-laws are all different: to some you have to explain the difference between a crescent wrench and a combo wrench!

Comment

I hear that Bud
        The three girls put all the furniture and stuff together. They actuallly embarrass the sons-in- laws. Ole dad here taught them well

Cheers
        2 1930 Tudors

Henry Ford said
        "It's all nuts and bolts"

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

Working...
        X