Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1955 Ford Customline Front Disc Conversion

Hello,

I have a 1955 Ford Customline with drum brakes that I have recently had converted to power brakes. After the conversion, the brakes are now very touchy. I barely have to push the pedal and the brakes really take hold. The mechanic that did the work said I should convert to front disc brakes (with a proportioning valve) to alleviate this condition. However, I can't find a conversion kit that will work. The problem is made worse by the fact that the car has 14 inch wheels. Speedway has a kit for 15 inch wheels, but they say it won't work with 14 inch. I really don't want the expense of converting to 15 inch wheels and tires. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks.

Now, I have never converted drum to power brakes, nor disk, but I'm wondering if you can't use that same proportioning valve to limit the front drum brakes? Also, had a brain fart, if you have the adjustable proportioning valve you could even adjust to suit.
    You wana look waaay far up da road and plan yer route because the brakes are far more of a suggestion than a command!

Comment

Thanks for the tip. I'll look into that.

Comment

may need to supply a it more info re power brakes.that is a pretty road statement the more known will help in troubleshooting.master cylinder booster pedal ratio etc
        Last edited by fifty-four; 07-17-2020, 10:37 AM.

Comment

Solved the problem of the touchy brakes. Separated the master cylinder from the brake booster and adjusted the booster push rod all the way in (towards the booster). That did the trick. Evidently the push rod was too long into the master cylinder and pushing into it all the time. This also caused the master cylinder to "over travel" (if that is a term) applying maximum braking to all the wheels when pushing the brake pedal just a little bit. There are a number of YouTube videos about this push rod adjustment.

Comment

Great to hear. Always like good news and another way to solve a problem.
            You wana look waaay far up da road and plan yer route because the brakes are far more of a suggestion than a command!

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• Doctor J
              Front end/brake problems
              by Doctor J
              My 1930 Town sedan was parked for over 9 months. When I got it out to drive, it started right up, but the front end shuttered every time the brakes were applied. I thought some rust had built up. Drove it around for a while, gently riding the brakes and it seemed better. But going down a real steep hill, I applied the brakes and the whole car jumped to the right every time the brakes were applied....
              08-01-2018, 03:29 PM
            • bettlesr
              Flathead Ted's setup with '35 front brakes
              by bettlesr
              Can I use the Ted's front parts I used with the original '30 brakes on my car if I change the front brakes to '35 assemblies or are the modified parts different?
              10-17-2017, 09:58 PM
            • canadian
              S10 Brakes
              by canadian
              Any members with information regarding adapting GM ,S10 Disc brakes using Original 29 Spindles?...
              01-03-2021, 09:23 PM
            • carolinamudwalker
              Hydraulic brakes
              by carolinamudwalker
              Has anyone had any experience with MT Bowling brothers brake kits? I drive my car at a steady 55mph, it is very comfortable at that speed and straight as an arrow with the radial tires. I feel that I am out running my brake system. Part of it is age related. When changing from my modern with a very soft pedal to the model A it takes quit some time to mentally adjust Bottom line I just am not comfortable...
              06-09-2018, 06:53 AM
            • dmdeaton
              Mikes special on front brakes
              by dmdeaton
              This doesn't seem like a bad deal with no core charge this week?
              Mike’s “A” Ford-able Parts is your best source for Model A Ford Parts. We have the most parts available for sale online.
              09-28-2017, 02:30 PM
            • Jamey E
              Front & Rear brakes
              by Jamey E
              Our next mission is to inspect the brakes on the car. Can you guys give me any pointers or lead me to a technical thread on this? Also are there any special tools that we’ll need to work on the brakes or pullers to remove the drums?
              07-06-2019, 02:16 PM
            • Captndan
              Brakes
              by Captndan
              I can’t remember. Who was recommended for rebuilding brakes?
              03-24-2019, 08:26 AM
            • bosticjb
              Brakes
              by bosticjb
              Finally I got brakes that will stop,, After sending my drums.shoes and e brake linings to Randy Gross and he worked his magic I now have safe brakes, If you want great service And quality workmanship call Randy Gross...
              10-13-2019, 07:04 PM
            • copgib
              Mechanical Brakes
              by copgib
              Ok by now everyone knows I am going to put mechanical brakes on my 1930 Model A. I just got home from a 14-hour drive and looked under my car to take some photos of what was left after someone put hydraulic brakes on the back. Any and all input is welcomed, good or bad. Hugh
              You do not have permission to view this gallery.
              This gallery has 4 photos.
              05-08-2018, 08:01 PM
            • Tom Wesenberg
              Interesting Brief History of Car Brakes
              by Tom Wesenberg
              I did a Google search to see what car first used Disc brakes, and I came across this interesting time period chart for brakes.

http://www.carhistory4u.com/the-last...the-car/brakes
              05-26-2017, 04:53 AM
            Working...
            X