Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the Late V-8 Forum

Y Block & more
See more
See less

February 20, 1954 - The Prototype of the 1955 Thunderbird is Revealed for the First Time at the Detroit Auto Show

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• February 20, 1954 - The Prototype of the 1955 Thunderbird is Revealed for the First Time at the Detroit Auto Show

Prototype-1955 Thunderbird.jpg Rushed into production to compete with GM's 1954 Corvette.

Were there any changes made from the prototype to the actual production cars?
    3 ~ Tudor's
    Henry Ford said
    "It's all nuts and bolts"

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

Yes-it's introduction was just like the VE Model A and the 1964 1/2 Mustang 10 years later. That is, for the most part the changes were engineering changes, not styling changes. The biggest changes came 2 years later in 1957, both stylistically and engineering wise, somewhat as they did with the 1930-31 Model A's. The 1957 actually had a turbo in some models and the electrical system went from the 6 volt systems of the 1955 and 1956 to a 12 volt for 1957. Some of the options for 1957 were seat belts at a cost of about $10 (it was blended in with a "safety package" but I don't know the components of that package) and a portable electric razor that could run off household current or the car's cigarette lighter (I have such a razor).

Comment

• Mitch
        Mitch commented
        Editing a comment
        I love that body style T-bird Thanks for all the info

• 40 DeLuxe
        40 DeLuxe commented
        Editing a comment
        A couple of notes: The '57 did not have a turbo in any model. It was a belt driven supercharger. And, the change to 12 volts came in '56, not '57.

pretty sure they went to 12volt for 56 not 57

Comment

Thanks1 You are correct. 1955 Thunderbirds were 6 volt positive ground. 1956 Thunderbirds were 12 volt negative ground with 12 volt guages. 1957 Thunderbirds were 12 volt negative ground with 6 volt gauges and a guage voltage regulator. I read that a guage voltage regulator was a feature of Ford cars in the 1970's but I can't verify (never owned a '70's Ford).

Comment

widgetinstance 451 (<center>Related Topics</center>) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
        Working...
        X