Aluminum Model A Front Fender Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aluminum Model A Front Fender Build

This is a project that I have wanted to try since getting more involved in the metal shaping segment of automotive restoration. I have taken a particular interest in doing aluminum work because it looks to be more difficult to achieve by both welding and finishing. This project is a 1930-1931 Front fender. I have been involved the last few years with a gentleman in Belfast, Tennessee who asked for my help in making the wood crate bucks for building fenders and body panels for a 1935 Bugatti Stelvio. As a result we got involved with a gentleman who teaches 3D graphics Pennsylvania University in Philly. I had him help me make a 3D scan of an NOS Model A fender. I took that as an .iges file and developed the sections needed to make a wooden buck. I made these in SolidWorks and had them all cut on a water jet out of 5/8" Baltic Birch plywood. They are glued together, then filed gently to end up with a 3D wood guide/buck. This fender will eventually have a wheel well, and I have made a wood egg crate buck for that as well. This post will be for the start of th SolidWorks drawings. Other posts will follow as I make progress.
    Last edited by RockHillWill; 06-07-2018, 07:22 PM.

Here are some of the tools and the fender well buck. The plastic parts are for a die that will be used in a Pullmax to put the character line in the fender well. The large / small rollers are used in an English wheel to put the character line down the length of the fender itself.

Comment

Here are some pictures of the fender buck parts as they were brought home from the water jet place, and some showing some of the pieces being assembled, and test fitting the wood buck to the original NOS fender. While this buck is made from and for a left side fender, the parts as cut from the water jet place can be assembled in opposite hand prior to gluing to make the right side fender. The other pics are of the fender well. I am going to make it in three pieces, starting with the center. I will put in the character line prior to forming and welding on the sides

Comment

Nice Will. You the man
      Welome to our new modified forum
      3 ~ Tudor's
      Henry Ford said
      "It's all nuts and bolts"

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

Way to go Will. Metal working body parts is not my strong point.

Comment

Very cool will. This is Logan Douglass, I came to your shop a few years ago for the class with peter. Would love to catch up with you sometime. I still have that in my books as the best money I’ve ever spent, and one of the best weeks I’ve ever had. Would love to chat with you again sometime

Comment

Good morning Douglas, I remember you well. You were attentive and very personable, and it looks like you had plenty of talent to pursue your interests. You are welcome back anytime.

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• JohnB15632
              Model A 31 right rear fender
              by JohnB15632
              I am sanding my fenders in preparation for painting. I am working on the right rear fender. The fender, as I have it has to "folds" In it that appears to be to be original. They do not look to be to be damaged.

Post is deleted. I got my answer. The fender is accurate as shown.

Thanks,
              04-23-2018, 01:02 PM
            • Great Lakes Greg
              Fender Welt
              by Great Lakes Greg
              Do pickup trucks have welt between the back fender and the box side?
              08-14-2019, 08:23 PM
            • Beauford
              Front fender gurus!
              by Beauford
              My front fender overlaps the apron a little and does it on both sides. I assume it just needs to butt up. My rear apron bolt is in the only farthest hole so I would assume there as back as they go. Any suggestions?
              01-17-2018, 05:01 PM
            • Great Lakes Greg
              Fender well install
              by Great Lakes Greg
              I have a '31 pickup with a regular fender on the drivers side, and I want to add a well for the spare tire. The dimensions and location is easy enough, but how to cut? I think a plasma cutter? Then bending the lip down all the way around could be an issue. Would small relief cuts on the sharper curves work? Thanks, experts....
              06-07-2020, 05:49 PM
            • JohnB15632
              31 rear fender fasteners
              by JohnB15632
              Can anyone help me with identifying the correct fasteners, thread and length, that fasten the rear fender and the fender support to the body?
              04-24-2018, 02:19 PM
            • tbirdtbird
              Eyebrow fender experts needed
              by tbirdtbird
              OK, I am metal repairing an eyebrow fender for a friend. The gauge of the metal just doesn't seem right for stock A. Can't be thicker than 21 ga. Have not measured it, but it is very flimsy.

So, were eyebrows ever repopped?
              06-14-2017, 12:57 PM
            • canadian
              hood shelf
              by canadian
              when mounting hood shelf on top of fender does hood shelf come in direct contact with fender or is there a webbing or welting between painted surface of fender and shelf . 29 Murray .
              02-24-2018, 04:43 AM
            • carolinamudwalker
              Right rear fender for coup
              by carolinamudwalker
              Are there more than one manufacturer for rear fenders? I really need to replace the right rear fender on my 1930 sport coup. Anyone have one they would like to part with? I am aware that I will have to elongate some mounting holes and use 4 letter words to make it fit
              01-20-2019, 02:39 PM
            • KB9JLO
              Is this fender beyond hope?
              by KB9JLO
              I can labor through most tasks, well most but not all. I will never pretend to be an auto body person, though. I'm looking at some used fenders, running boards, aprons, brackets...
              One rear fender has been crunched. What do you think? Beyond hope?

06-11-2020, 03:38 PM
            • BBKing
              Can anyone tell me what this fender goes to?
              by BBKing
              I have been trying to identify this fender with no luck. Does anyone know what it goes to? Appreciate the help.
              05-31-2018, 03:00 PM
            Working...
            X