• Show
Clear All

• My 1930 Briggs Banger Build

5 speed transmission, lightened flywheel, V8 pressure plate
    Late model wet brakes
    Slightly modified engine
    Dropped Ford front axle, reverse eye spring, late model spindles
    Reverse eye T style rear spring, lowers it about 3 inches

Body will stay stock, no fenders and running only top hood halves. This will be somewhat of a 40's style banger hot rod. I am not building this to race or hill climb. Just drive around and have fun. All the cruise ins and car shows I have been to around my area have no modified A engines at all. I cannot wait to get this on the road.

Comment

• BNCHIEF
      BNCHIEF commented
      Editing a comment
      Nice job.

• Mitch
      Mitch commented
      Editing a comment
      So the secret is out now
      Nice work Danny

• BNCHIEF
      BNCHIEF commented
      Editing a comment
      Danny one thing bothers me that frame crossmember if you use an aa housing that is not neccesary.

• dmdeaton
      dmdeaton commented
      Editing a comment
      You mean the large cutout? It bothers me also. I am thinking of a reinforcement welded in the back side.

• BNCHIEF
      BNCHIEF commented
      Editing a comment
      As I said an aa bell housing will keep you from having to do that.

Looking great.

Sure gunna be a head turner.

A 4 door banger fenderless.

Comment

Is that the body under the blue tarp? If so it looks ready. Looking good get r done :-) T spring, reversed eyes lowers 3 in. Thanks for the info!

Comment

• dmdeaton
        dmdeaton commented
        Editing a comment
        https://www.*************.com/forum/...n-made.961937/

link for the fellow on Hamb forum who sells these springs. T specs with model A width

Yes, body is going on soon, at least I hope. As soon as the brake lines are plumbed up and the E brake shaft gets installed.

Mitch you are dragging more and more guys on the dark side. Be careful you might get dragged in here to. You have two A,s they don,t both need to be stock. Just make sure all the screw slots are in line, before you come.

Comment

• dmdeaton
        dmdeaton commented
        Editing a comment
        Screw slots in line, I haven't heard that one in a while. Except on my M1 Garands. LOL

• Mitch
        Mitch commented
        Editing a comment
        I hear ya George I have been very surprised so far, the closet was packed...Yes even on a Rod the screws slots need to be perfect

• dmdeaton
        dmdeaton commented
        Editing a comment
        I will work on that!

• George Miller
        George Miller commented
        Editing a comment
        one time Mitch put a picture of the interior of his car on the model A board, I noticed he had all the screw slots in line.
        That was funny because I do the same thing. I bet in his repair shop he does the best work on customers cars that he can. No corner cutting.

• pooch
        pooch commented
        Editing a comment
        Funny that, Even when I screw my inner dash rail and instrument panel on, I think, should the slots be horizontal or vertical, and then, were they aligned on the assembly line anyway?

• George Miller
        George Miller commented
        Editing a comment
        No I don,t think they would take time for that. The screw slots would have been where ever they stopped.
        Whey do we do that, lining them up?

• BNCHIEF
        BNCHIEF commented
        Editing a comment
        You have the time George they did not.

• pooch
        pooch commented
        Editing a comment
        I suppose yeh , we have more time, like how much time did the guys have on the line to tighten these up I wonder.

I saw a video a while back showing the dude who rolled the wire into the front fenders.

He was allowed 3 seconds to do it.

Dunno how he kept all his fingers.

I have been hunting for that video to save it, because when I tell guys, they don't believe me.

Comment

Body on frame this weekend. I had to see how the pipes look.

Comment

• Mitch
          Mitch commented
          Editing a comment
          Your gonna burn the paint off the doors

I think that looks great!
        You wana look waaay far up da road and plan yer route because the brakes are far more of a suggestion than a command!

Comment

Looking great, took me a bit to work out if that was bare steel or silver paint.

I think it is a bit of both.

Comment

The cowl is a Brookville replacement. Bare steel. I am not using it, just threw it on to see what she looks like. My 2 fuel tanks are being cleaned and checked at the moment. Going to use the better of the 2.

Comment

• pooch
              pooch commented
              Editing a comment
              What mods are done the engine ?

What gearbox and diff are you running?

This is a stock babbit block I picked up used and rebuilt with some miles on it. It is just a beater engine until my B comes home from the machine shop. I did tear it down to check it, clean it, and installed new stipes cam, new modern valve set, springs, rebuilt the oil pump. Alum high comp head, 2 small Strombergs. I figured I would learn on this beater engine, so I don't screw up the B later on. If it runs good, it may stay for a good while. Only thing that bothers me is its not balanced, stock crank. I am not racing anyway, just putting around.
            Diff is stock model A fresh rebuild with 3:78 gears. Gearbox is Mustang Borg Warner T5 5 speed. I did know all the ratios for the trans, but forgot now.

Brakes are the Boling Bros kit, pricey, but all there and new. The conversion wasn't too hateful.

I am going to install a low pressure electric fuel pump with a regulator. I am just trying to keep it somewhat a 40's style hot rod. No chop, no small block engine. Heavy 4 door body. I am breaking all the rules.

Comment

New head from Jim brierley
              Last edited by dmdeaton; 07-17-2018, 01:01 PM.

Comment

Oh Danny, what a tease. At least give us the CR!!
                You wana look waaay far up da road and plan yer route because the brakes are far more of a suggestion than a command!

Comment

Comment

Fuel tank is in!!!!!
                    Now I can get a lot done. And maybe start this beast up.

Comment

They call them sleepers these days..

A stock 4 door with a hot motor under the hood.

Comment

• Mitch
                        Mitch commented
                        Editing a comment
                        My generation called them sleepers too. Any stock looking car on the outside fit that category

That is really looking nice Danny.

Comment

Thanks guys, I don't see anyone doing this with a fordor. Hopefully the 2 puppy dogs will ride with us.

Comment

I am leaving the welt unpainted on this. Tell me how you guys do this on a nice restore. Do you shoot the dash portion of the tank with body color and install with the tank top primed or unpainted? Then paint as a whole with the body? This would have been an easier task not worrying about scratching something along the way. I am sucking up all this good info for my next build.

Comment

I really like your build. I'm planning to do something quite similar, just not going quite as far as you are. I want to leave the old bumpy fenders on. I have a 30 Murray body fordor. I sure like that Brierley head! That's purdy. I want one of his cams. I think I'm going to start a build thread. I think I'm ready.
                            Dan Reynolds

Comment

Cool Dan, name your build thread as you like and in the first post, tell us what you have to start with and what your goal is and we will all follow along the journey.

Comment

Yes Dan
                                get the thread started now and document the build. I have learned a lot in here about the parts I am leaving stock and the modified portions of the build. I am learning as I go and doing things 2 or 3 times before I get it right or am happy

Comment

Been working way too much lately, but got in a good day today. Knee deep in the wiring, fuel pump finished, and almost ready to fire this beast up. I have a guy in Indiana going to do the interior, and we picked color today. I am next on his list and I have to get this thing ready for him to do his thing. I cant wait.

Comment

Comment

It's looking good Danny. Keep the updates coming
                                      The fuel set up looks nice also
                                      3 ~ Tudor's
                                      Henry Ford said
                                      "It's all nuts and bolts"

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment