Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 41 Sedan Project

Originally posted by Mitch View Post
    68blackbird Kel, So what are your future plans? Are you going modified or keeping it stock?
    Since you asked.....

Car comes with 1987 302 block with Trick Flow EFI and Wedge heads, Ford AOD tranny,2.90 gears, Fatman frame /Mustang II front end, Dakota Digital gauges, Painless Wiring all installed, Vintage Air installed, just needs AC hoses fabbed/installed. Have all original seats, but in bad shape, just picked up a set of Altima seats & console getting mocked up, Lincoln Versailles 9" rear, American Racing wheels, Flowmaster 50's. I also have boxes of parts, new handles for interior, new electric windshield wiper installed, March Serpentine kit, grill inserts for front end, most window/door regulator stuff, most original glass(replacing that), rubber covers for running boards....and some other stuff. Scored all this for......$6500, with clear title......I know, crazy, right? Car runs and stops, need a little tuning. Seems to have pretty healthy cam. Plan is to get it legal and streetable, start driving first while I put it together. As stated, I am missing a few essential pieces, will post in another thread. Thanks for the warm welcome! Kel
    Attached Files

Originally posted by 68blackbird View Post
    Scored all this for......$6500, with clear title
    Kel wow you did real well. You’ll have plenty of top end with that AOD coupled to those 2:90 gears. I guess you did not see the modified area here on the VFF. You fit this area to a T, so I moved your posts over and set you up in the ongoing projects forum. Looking forward to the progress
    3 ~ Tudor's
    Henry Ford said
    "It's all nuts and bolts"

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

Hey Kel, welcome to the Modified forum.

Your ride will fit in real sweet over here.

You can also ask in the early V8 forum for any info on original parts.

And advertise also in early V8 for original bits and here in Modified Classifieds for any non original bits.

Comment

Kel wow you did real well. You’ll have plenty of top end with that AOD coupled to those 2:90 gears. I guess you did not see the modified area here on the VFF. You fit this area to a T, so I moved your posts over and set you up in the ongoing projects forum. Looking forward to the progress
        I'll learn my way around, many thanks for the help, Kel

Comment

Originally posted by pooch View Post
          Hey Kel, welcome to the Modified forum.

Your ride will fit in real sweet over here.

You can also ask in the early V8 forum for any info on original parts.

And advertise also in early V8 for original bits and here in Modified Classifieds for any non original bits.
          Nice to know I have a good source for info. Thanks for the info.

Comment

Going to post updates on my project. Please feel free to inject any ideas or constructive criticism. My progress today. Got trunk latch installed, really liked how that fabrication came out. Fronts seats are actually bolted down. It worked to where the 2 outside bolts on both sides went thru the frame, like that. Drivers power seat works, even have lumbar adjustment. Started working on the Altima console. Boxing in the front of it, pulled out where the floor shifter was, going to box that in from underside, make a little phone cubby slot? Still having a little trouble getting car to run smooth. One problem was the plug wires on dist were not in correct order. Fixed that. We decided to pull the Trick Flow intake so we can pull injectors for inspection and or replacement, hit that tomorrow. Having issue with hood latch, don't have the original dowel, I'll post pics tomorrow and look for some direction there. Time for nightcap, bed...back at it tomorrow, Kel
            Attached Files

Comment

When you say that your boxing the console out, your not kiddin. Amazon boxes come in handy huh. What are you coating it with?
              3 ~ Tudor's
              Henry Ford said

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

When you say that your boxing the console out, your not kiddin. Amazon boxes come in handy huh. What are you coating it with?
                Started out with Fiberglass, probably finish off with bondo. I'll end up painting the whole console so it will all match. Preety pleased with the whole seat/console combo at this point.

Comment

Still chopping wood....more progress today. Buddy came over, pulled fuel injectors, used his little DIY test kit, they all held pressure and sprayed nicely, reinstalled it, put intake back, also put MAF that was removed, running much better. Worked on fitting back seats in, pretty dang close on that now. Now that I have seats fitted, going to start on knocking of surface rust to treat and prime. Console is coming along as well.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Did you ever use Ospho to preserve bare metal from rusting? The seats adapted very nicely
                    3 ~ Tudor's
                    Henry Ford said

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

Looks Great Kel.
                      Twiss Collector Car Parts

Comment

Treated interior roof, sides and floors with Ospho, then Rustoleum Rust converter, then coat of Rustoleum paint...this thing will not rust from the inside out. Pulled hood, trunk, and fenders off for ease of cleaning/painting. Also -mocked up running boards to see how they fit.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Little more progress done. Removed fenders, took top & sides down to bare metal, treated with Ospho, twice, then a coat of Rustoleum Rust Converter. I learned a hard lesson on my last project. My '50 GMC was much like this one, very solid with mostly surface rust. I sanded the truck down, treated with Ospho once, cleaned it up, primed and painted. Ended up sanding it all down again to repaint due to the rust coming back. I found that the flat surfaces though not rusted through, were pitted worse that I thought. The Ospho took care of the 1st layer of rust in the pits, but if the pits are deep enough, the Ospho didn't go deep enough, make sense? So it was, sand, Ospho, sand Ospho, wire wheel, then the Rustoleum Rust Converter just for good measure. I've gone over the roof on the "41 with abrasive discs, wire wheel, and palm sander in between Ospho treatments. Much rather do that than then have to have to sand & repaint. Kind of a winded post here, but maybe it will help someone down the road. Have a little filler work where trim holes were welded up, then scuff the top and 2K primer, hopefully tomorrow. Kel
                          Attached Files

Comment

Can't beat sandblasting for cleaning the metal.

If you have a decent compressor you can make a blaster for a few bucks that will do the job.

Comment

Can't beat sandblasting for cleaning the metal.

If you have a decent compressor you can make a blaster for a few bucks that will do the job.

Redneck engineering...love it. I actually have the cheapo HF gravity feed one, works pretty good. Didn't feel like doing the whole roof though, but have used it on smaller areas. Got some tuning done, starting to run pretty good. Not sure if this is the right place to ask, but while I'm here, does anyone have a source for carpet for these cars? Found a single source but they state they are for 42-60 Full-size Fords?

Comment

Did this model have original carpet?

Comment

Did this model have original carpet?

I have no idea. This model is all new to me. Car is not going to be anywhere near stock or original, was hoping someone here knew of a source that was making it, Kel

Comment

Hi Kel
                                    Try giving Mike a call at Classtique. He may be able to offer some assistance or a lead.. tell him you are from the VFF

https://www.classtiqueupholstery.com/index.php
                                    3 ~ Tudor's
                                    Henry Ford said

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

Hi Kel
                                      Try giving Mike a call at Classtique. He may be able to offer some assistance or a lead.. tell him you are from the VFF

https://www.classtiqueupholstery.com/index.php
                                      Thanks for the lead!! Much appreciated, will let you know what they say, Kel

Comment

Have 80% car in primer. Front fenders are painted, came out pretty good, considering they were painted outside under a canopy, typical run or 2 , couple bugs, no biggie. Radio arrived, got it molded into the console. Front coil-overs installed today....upward & onward, Kel

Comment

Nice job Kel.

The orange undercarriage will look good with the outside colour.

Comment

Wow Kel!
                                            You don't waste any time. Keep up the great work.
                                            Twiss Collector Car Parts

Comment

Kel, that is beeeautiful. Tell me that color isn't Black Cherry!
                                              You wana look waaay far up da road and plan yer route because the brakes are far more of a suggestion than a command!

Comment

Woooweeee. Love that color. Nice choice.
                                                3 ~ Tudor's
                                                Henry Ford said

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

Originally posted by DaWizard View Post
                                                  Kel, that is beeeautiful. Tell me that color isn't Black Cherry!
                                                  Its izit brown. Going to be 2 tone. Drip line up and body line just below windows will be brown, going with a cream for window area. As stated, thought those colors would work with orange frame. I'm hoping the cream I ordered is close to what firewall is now.

Comment