Found pics of what I started with

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Found pics of what I started with

Found pictures of the "pile of parts" I picked up and have been slowly piecing together. They were all lost on my broken phone, but thankfully Facebook messenger still had them. So without further ado, here was the day I picked them up.

The 35 you've already seen in the build thread.

The others are a 39 Tudor sedan, a 49(50?) coupe, and a serial verified 37 chevy 4 door sedan with trunk.

- The 39 will become a 4x4 project
    - The 49 I have a 5.4 Triton that I think will move that metal sufficiently
    - The 37 chevy I actually have MEAN plans for in order to make everything work with what I have. It will be a prize in my collection when I'm done.

Which also begs a question... I will begin starting a thread on the 39, as I'm currently working on it in conjunction with my 35. The 49 is on back burner right now but I'm soon to dive off into the 37 chevy and at least get the body modifications I have planned started. Does the 37 chevy have a place here on the forum, or is it kind of Ford only?

Comment

STEBS Well........the name of the place IS Vintage Ford Forum.
      You wana look waaay far up da road and plan yer route because the brakes are far more of a suggestion than a command!

Comment

Did you find this stuff just randomly laying out in a field?
        3 ~ Tudor's
        Henry Ford said
        "It's all nuts and bolts"

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

Originally posted by STEBS View Post
          I have a 5.4 Triton that I think will move that metal sufficiently
          Make sure that you get the spark plugs out while the motor is on the ground. Those 3 valve Tritons love to break the base off
          3 ~ Tudor's
          Henry Ford said

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

Originally posted by Mitch View Post
            Did you find this stuff just randomly laying out in a field?
            Sort of... It came from some old family land that sold years ago. I remember coming from dallas visiting family being like 12 or 13 doing some wondering and up over this ridge were these old cut up cars (why they were cut into pieces I'll never know). It was in a spot that unless you knew where they were at, you would never know they were there.

Fast fwd 18 or so years. Im now living in the area and The lady that owned the property now came in my shop for an oil change, and I inquired about all the old cars. Wanted to know if I could go salvage what ever I could, even if it meant all I came back with was a hub cap to hang on a wall. Well I decided to load it all, every piece of tin or wadded up chrome came home(actuallyfound some pretty neat "artifacts" in the process too). The 39 was cut into 3, the 35 and 37 was cut into quarters, and the 49 was left intact. It was all free, so it's worth it to me to try and revive what I can. It's too far gone to restore, but I couldn't just walk away from the challenge. I dont have it in me to scrap any of these panels.

As far as the plugs go, I am very familiar with 3V plugs lol. I work at the shop here in town, and often times I get lucky. I've had a couple tune ups where I was able to retrieve all 8, and a couple where I only had to extract 2 or 3. My boss only had 1 plug come out of the Triton v10. All others had to be extracted. That was a fun job.

the 5.4 I have is actually the 2V. The onea that like to launch the plugs taking the threads with them. Luckily I've never had this issue myself. But when I've had customers come in with one, I'm ashamed to say that I usually do turn these away. Were just a 2 man shop in a "village" with about 1K people (if that). They are better off taking it to like Amarillo or Clovis where parts, tools, kits and materials are easily available and not a days away order for me.

Comment

And then after charging some of my friends with keeping an eye out for anything vintage I could incorporate to the builds, one turned me onto 2 chassis here at the local dump way off across the fence and by the tracks. After checking them out and talking with the feller at the dump, he said to come get them. So I did.

It seems as if they were both either model a or t, (I'm not sure how to spot the difference) and that they had both been modified to make pup trailers of some sort.

1 had wheels and old old junk tires except for the LF is missing the hub, but all other 3 positions roll easily. The other chassis is just the chassis and rear banjo with wheels and would roll as well.

I just ordered a hub last night for the one. According to the serial... and I'm having trouble believing this... but if I'm correct it comes back as 1913. The other I have not run the numbers yet.

The one with the missing hub, I will probably invest in a fiberglass tub as they seem pretty reasonable in price and I'll just build it with what I can. The one with only the rear axle, I've got a wild haired idea of turning it into a snowmobile. I might be trading what's left of my 02 chevy 2500 donor truck for a flathead 4, OR I might have a line on a thermo king reefer diesel. It doesn't need to move fast, it just has to putt around. Either way its something different that you dont really see often.

I will try to get pictures of the chassis as soon as I can.

Comment

BTW did you see George Miller T / A build here. He is doing an era trailer now. It's the two threads below these
                3 ~ Tudor's
                Henry Ford said

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

BTW did you see George Miller T / A build here. He is doing an era trailer now. It's the two threads below these
                  I saw the trailer. That is pretty awesome to be honest! The T, I started to but kind of got sidetracked last night by the tv

Comment

I spent many hours driving back roads looking at cars and trucks abandoned, while at White Sands Missile Range.

Comment

Originally posted by STEBS View Post
                      The onea that like to launch the plugs taking the threads with them. Luckily I've never had this issue myself. But when I've had customers come in with one, I'm ashamed to say that I usually do turn these away.
                      Regarding the plug blow out, it's a simple fix. Get this kit it's 123. You can buy extra inserts separately.
                      https://www.amazon.com/14mm-Spark-Th.../dp/B0025PMJHA
                      3 ~ Tudor's
                      Henry Ford said

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

Great stories and finds. It's amazing how things evolve, and I like your vision
                        3 ~ Tudor's
                        Henry Ford said

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

Much much appreciated on the compliments...

I got some work done last night, but cold wind and showering called it wrap. But I got more work done tonight on piecing the cars together and so I was able to nab some shots of progress before I packed it in...

Comment

Originally posted by CarlR82A View Post
                            I spent many hours driving back roads looking at cars and trucks abandoned, while at White Sands Missile Range.
                            Try route 66 around Tucumcari lol. I've literally gave a few hard days labor for a 55 chevy short bed stepside that was out in a field. I later traded it so that's neither here nor there. But the metal around here just bakes away in some ranchers field buried in sand.

I've been sitting for a while now on a 65 chevy long bed original and unmolested with a 327 auto that was running and driving when it was parked on the hill decades ago. For $500. .... but I already have 20+ plus vehicles, I have to be patient and wait haha.

Comment

Hell, tain't no big deal. That'll polish out!

*begins humming* "da foot bone connected to da leg bone,
                              da leg bone connected to da thigh bone..."
                              You wana look waaay far up da road and plan yer route because the brakes are far more of a suggestion than a command!

Comment

Regarding the plug blow out, it's a simple fix. Get this kit it's 123. You can buy extra inserts separately.
                                https://www.amazon.com/14mm-Spark-Th.../dp/B0025PMJHA
                                That's not bad at all. I'm definitely going to look a little more into that. I've made some attempts at it before with what I had/have on hand, just to try to get the guy down the road(were in the middle of no where), and not a 1 idea so far made an iota. So I got to where I just turn it down, so that will be interesting to investigate the gist behind the use.

Comment

Originally posted by DaWizard View Post
                                  *begins humming* "da foot bone connected to da leg bone,
                                  da leg bone connected to da thigh bone..."
                                  That is no joke! Except in this case it's the foot bone and leg bone are from different people. Imagine imagine their face when you tell them that bedtime story to a kid... haha.

Comment

Just for clarification, the 37 chevy body that is on the trailer, is a 4 door, but that is a rough idea of a body style in my head that was never released to the public. I'm going to shorten it down to about where it is positioned now. As well as cut the seam for the trunk and blend it strait across almost like a slantback ford, or the 35 I kind of have going. I'm going to blend both doors into one massive suicide door. Placing the very large bench driver seat almost over the rear axle. And because of having no roof or pillars it will now become basically a master deluxe coupe convertible speedster πŸ˜ƒπŸ˜ŽπŸΊ

But it gets better.

I'm putting it on the chassis below. Based off the fact that I have a "unknown year" chevy leafsprung drop axle, that can easily graft on the chassis that is missing a front axle/suspension. After that I can start planning drivetrain that I have on hand.

So... since its one ford chassis, and a custom body... does it count for a build thread even tho this is a ford page? Or is the jury still out on that one because is Chevrolet based?

Build thread on the 39 4x4 coming soon, as well as the progress on the other chassis that has the front and rear suspension still in tact. That one is going to become a dual purpose rig.

Small diesel engine even if I have to source isuzu. T19 that I have from my 73 f100 build(another story for that build). Matched with a corporate 14 bolt from a 90 GMC 1 ton that I'm swapping for a disc version from my 02 2500 donor truck into the 90 1 ton that I stuffed the 02's 6.0L/nv4500. Yet again another build for another time. .. and take that power train and build a rear track snowmobile model t with a long bed. A light duty gen pole set up in the back and a small plow on the front.

The dual purpose comes in where I'm going to make the tracks and the front skids removable so that in the off season of winter I can still drive it to town or shows if so desired.

It will come beneficial when I finally do achieve getting out of new Mexico and back to Colorado. So far in the mountains that it takes that snowmobile to get there lol. Theoretically that is. The area I'm headed will get a 4 ft snow in one night. Snow is on the ground from nov/dec all the way to april/may. If they have a 12 foot blizzard I want to be able to still drive into town. Or go help stranded motorists.
                                    Last edited by STEBS; 01-28-2020, 11:15 PM.

Comment

Well, since we have had Stude posts your morph shouldn't really disrupt the flow of Ford energy. So what say, you keep it to the Modified area and we'll see where it goes. Now, I won't resume to speak for the Boss, but so far he has been pretty flexible so far.

Comment

Stude? you lost me on that one.

...Modified area...
                                        I thought this was the modified area? Or am I in the wrong section again?

Comment

Oh no, you are in the modified section, and Studebakers have been posted, I just don't remember where. But posted and welcomed. I'm just not really sure how the "C" bran will be welcomed, but maybe you can put that Ford driveline in it and blow everyone away. I for one would say it's ok to run a Ford power plant in a C.

Comment

Oh no, you are in the modified section, and Studebakers have been posted, I just don't remember where. But posted and welcomed. I'm just not really sure how the "C" bran will be welcomed, but maybe you can put that Ford driveline in it and blow everyone away. I for one would say it's ok to run a Ford power plant in a C.
                                            The sensorship had me chuckling lol. Sorry, I was as raised a C guy, have always been a C guy and will always be a C guy. If anyone of any make can all agree on, one of the best things GM ever did was make everything interchangeable.

considering I'm trying to build all of these using parts I have on hand, I wouldn't hold my breath on the F powertrain. Sorry to break anyone's heart, but I just dont have one on hand. The 5.4 I have is set aside for the 49 coupe, and the interceptor 4.6/auto I have is set aside for the 73 f100.

However for the time being as far as getting the project operational in a short amount of time with what I have, it may end up with an 80's 5.9 mopar. Cuz I have a 1 ton van with a 360/auto 2wd. Or I have a few sbc some bored, some stock, a couple 454's or multiple multiple 4.3. Most of which on the 5.7 and 4.3, I have multiple harnesses and computers as well as 700r4 and th350 transmissions. Ive changed my mind 100 times on what I'm doing with each build so far. I like to think I finally have a firm plan. But powertrains have swapped around in my head more than you can shake a stick at lol.

A rat rod is a rat rod, it's what you put together with what you have that makes it a rat ;)

Or at least I'm hoping the "higher ups" see it that way...

Comment

Stebs, drivetrains are open slather here.

But generally the body has to be ford or resemble a ford.

Out of your 20 plus cars, I bet you can find a few fords for projects here.

A chevy body would certainly muddy the waters in here.

Comment

Originally posted by pooch View Post
                                                But generally the body has to be ford or resemble a ford.

A chevy body would certainly muddy the waters in here.
                                                okay, fair enough. I will reserve that build thread for elsewhere.

....but... I will at least post 1 pic of the body when completed as I think it would at least deserve fabrication merrit.

Comment

STEBS
                                                  Pssst....don't tell anyone....I want to see the pictures.
                                                  Twiss Collector Car Parts

Comment