35 build thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 35 build thread

Just got introduced to the page, it took me a bit to get enough current progress as my last phone crashed prior to my joining. I've been busting ass this week after work in the cold dark and now it's the weekend so here is current shots of what I've basically had to piece together (long story) from 3 different cars that were cut up into a pile

Aside from the other 3 cars, and either 2 model a or t? Chassis , I have enough parts laying around between engines, transmissions, axles, suspension etc. That I can build all 3 and have little into them other than time.

This particular one, I just shook hands on 93? I think. F150 5.0 2wd auto. That will donor the drivetrain and rear axle.
    axle forward with cantilever air ride, slight channel rake to the body since floor pans are basically decorative currently.

Already ordered in some headlights for this one, and tint for the 39 headlights (pics of it soon)

Lots of frame work

Lots of labor to realign the body

Skinnys up front, fats in the back

More to come.

Comment

STEBS all I can say is WOW!! That brings a whole new meaning to "project car".

Keep up the pictures and story.
      You wana look waaay far up da road and plan yer route because the brakes are far more of a suggestion than a command!

Comment

Soooo........will it be ready for next weekend?
        Just kidding.
        Please Please Please keep them pictures coming.
        You are a very Ambitious Gentleman.
        Twiss Collector Car Parts

Comment

Welcome Stebs.

Ambitious project, looks like fun and not a lot of money.

This thread may be better suited to the Modified forum here.

Comment

Originally posted by pooch View Post
            This thread may be better suited to the Modified forum here.
            Is this one more for authentic and original builds I take it?

Comment

I can move this thread over there for you
              3 ~ Tudor's
              Henry Ford said
              "It's all nuts and bolts"

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

Originally posted by Mitch View Post
                I can move this thread over there for you
                If it's not too much trouble.

Comment

Much appreciated... sorry for the confusion.

Comment

No problem at all. This is going to be fun to watch.
                    3 ~ Tudor's
                    Henry Ford said

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

No problem at all. This is going to be fun to watch.
                      I definitely I have my work cut out for me. The biggest hurdle I had so far was getting the wheels to roll. I will have to order the puller tool for the rear hubs as the LR is still frozen. But at least now that the chassis is a little more mobile than before, I can begin mounting the body back to the frame which will help my reference points on blending the body back together.

I've chose to oxy/acetylene braze with clothes hangers (an old trick I picked up years ago). which I anticipate to yield a far better aesthetic approach to the blending rather than ground down welds.

The panels will be easy, the real challenge will lie in the pillar bracing. But I've decided that at each pillar joint I'm going to cut a 1-2" strip on either side of the exterior body back about 2-3" which will expose the internal of the pillar joint and allow me to repair the internal "meat" first and then blend the body panel back together on top of it afterwards.

There will be an endo structure with 1x1 tubing as well. At this point it's pretty well mandatory to ensure body stability.

One thing I will need to source is a driver door. That one is MIA.

Comment

Stebs, this looks like a fun project which will catch a lot of subscribers including me.

Mitch will move it over to the modified forum as underneath it will be modified.

Feel free to ask in the early V8 forum for any body work or other original resto questions.

But we love hotrods in the modified.

Make those early fords go faster than the texters behind can text.

Comment

Originally posted by pooch View Post
                          Mitch will move it over to the modified forum as underneath it will be modified.
                          It was moved hours before your post
                          3 ~ Tudor's
                          Henry Ford said

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

It was moved hours before your post
                            And we are about 19 hours ahead of you .

Must be getting slow in my old age.

Comment

Lol. I wondered myself about the comment, but I just let it roll off. It all played out 😉

As for now, I'm just waiting on the next week or 2 of pay and I can start dismantling the 90's model ford and start mocking the powertrain into place so I know where to plan frame modifications for engine and body when I remove the X member and box it all in. As well as plan and estimate axle/suspension hanging for the rear. The current rear axle will donor as an original spare to the snowmobile model T build.

The engine is "blown" as I was told. How far gone, IDK. I have not even glanced it over or inspected it. Either way I can still mock the powertrain into place and either revive that one once everything is plumbed and ran, or I can replace it. Its already set up for a motor swap because it's all already ran and plumbed.

After that will be mocking up a rough driveline so that when it does run I can move it around and load it up on the trailer to go have a driveline made.

Exterior will remain exact as is. Even down to the bullet holes.

I want the next owner to have the option to either paint and restore, or clear coat and call it day. Hence why I'm braising the body. I want the "scar" look. I want it to look like it was melded back together.

It's also going to make it so much easier when I take it to the dmv to register and they come out to inspect it.

I 4warned the lady at the dmv when I rolled up there with all of the car bodies and chassis in a strapped down heap of a pile on my trailer that I was getting my paperwork to file for all of these. She said I was crazy. Gave me the papers and wished me luck. So they know that when I do go for title, it will physically show that YES I did reassemble these cars and YES they will pass safety inspection. "See ma'am, even the hazards work..." haha.
                              Last edited by STEBS; 01-28-2020, 10:58 PM.

Comment