See less

my new to me model T

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I decided I want a Model A running gear in my T. So here is the start the A engine in the frame. I had the center section from the front cross member from a model A. cut a wide slot in it and it slipped over the T frame just right. Made brackets for the rear of the engine, used float a motor rubbers with my brackets.
    The picture does not show the mounts that well.

IMG_2467.JPGIMG_2449.JPG

Comment

Now to shorten the torque tube and drive shaft on a Model A rear axle. The front axle is all ready in.

Comment

Nice work George on that front cross member. I'm looking forward to watching this build go down. No small block in this one huh,,lol
        2 1930 Tudors

Henry Ford said
        "It's all nuts and bolts"

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

George, this is going to be a unique build.

Never have seen an A engine in a T chassis before.

Seen plenty of T bodies on A chassis.

Following with much interest.

Comment

Originally posted by pooch View Post
            Never have seen an A engine in a T chassis before.
            Keith I never followed this kind of stuff like you do. I find it interesting that putting an A drivetrain in a T is a rare feat.
            2 1930 Tudors

Henry Ford said

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

Well I put the A rear axle in the T today. It fit the T spring well, The T spring is about a 1/4 inch narrower than the A. I wanted to use a T spring because it is right for the weight of the T. I will have to shorten the torque tube and the drive shaft about 4 and 3/16 of a inch. That means re-spling the drive shaft. I can do that in my Milling machine.

My goal is to not destroy the body or frame. I want it to be so it can be changed back to stock if some one wants to down the road. I will save all the old parts.

Comment

What I reckon would be unique is still using the planetary transmission behind the A engine.

40 HP over 20 HP would make the T hop.

I think I remember reading somewhere that Henry had the vision of making his planetary fully automatic without pedals.

Now if he could have done that and added a 2nd gear, wow.

The farmers loved those pedals for rocking out of bogs,

Comment

• George Miller
                  George Miller commented
                  Editing a comment
                  this engine will be a little more than 40hp. .100 over size bore, big intake valves, 6-1 head, light flywheel, bored out intake, special cam. should be 70 or more.

I wonder if the planetary would hold up to that kind of power. If so it would be neat.
                  I plan on using it for touring with the model A club.

Today I put the new splines on the drive shaft, I left the old splines on and use them for a pattern. when done I will cut the shaft to length. The torque tub is on temporary just to make sure I have the length right.

. IMG_2468.JPGIMG_2469.JPGIMG_2470.JPG

Comment

Looking good George.

To be able to do your own mods at home like this, is a real bonus.

Comment

I'm glade I can do it all myself. I always seem to have trouble when I get some one else to do my work.

Comment

Originally posted by George Miller View Post
                      this engine will be a little more than 40hp. .100 over size bore, big intake valves, 6-1 head, light flywheel, bored out intake, special cam. should be 70 or more.

We would expect nothing less. I love following this build
                      2 1930 Tudors

Henry Ford said

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

• George Miller
                        George Miller commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I know this sounds strange, but I love hot rods, you can be yourself and use your ideas. I have never been a follower. I always like to do it my way.

But I also love original cars. A have 1956 chev hard top, just like my first new car. It is still stock, I have a 1966 Corvette I got that car in 1970 after selling 60 acres of oats. It is still stock, I drove this car to work for over 20 years. It has over 200,000 miles engine has never been rebuilt. Bottom line I like rods and stock.

Originally posted by George Miller View Post
                      I'm glade I can do it all myself. I always seem to have trouble when I get some one else to do my work.
                      Ain't that the truth.

Comment

George, here is a nice front end, but the problem is, it is over here on the other side of the planet.

Model T Ford, professionally lowered front axle, 50mm drop with new king pins and bushes, fitted with Buttars hydraulic brakes with 1927 wire wheel stud pattern, easily removed, also original spring is fitted with KW road smoother accessory springs complete. Bought for speedster but never used.

s-l1600.jpg

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/ford-mod...frcectupt=true

Comment

• George Miller
                          George Miller commented
                          Editing a comment
                          that is a nice front end. Did you do that one your self.

• pooch
                          pooch commented
                          Editing a comment
                          No, it is just an ebay search find as I search for A/s and occasionally T/s.

I have not been able to work on the car much the last week or so. I did get the body off so I can Finnish the frame.

Comment