Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Don't toss those tapered kitchen table legs.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Don't toss those tapered kitchen table legs.

filedata/fetch?id=175907&d=1561332838&type=thumbfiledata/fetch?id=94763&d=1554406733&type=thumbfiledata/fetch?id=94760&d=1554105198&type=thumbfiledata/fetch?id=94761&d=1554406733&type=thumbfiledata/fetch?id=94762&d=1554406733&type=thumb

Always hard to find metal bows, and I would never chop a restorable set.

This is what you can do with kitchen table legs.

I first flattened them to an oval, then sectioned a piece out where the bend is.

Then squared it a touch on the inside of the bend so it would fit in my stretcher machine, and pumped the curve into it.

The end pieces that are the hinges to body are cut ends of an old sway bar.

I made the hinge halfway up out of scrap to resemble a Model A one.

It was a bit tricky to get it all hinged properly so it folded neat .

With the shape I wanted the roof, it does not reach the hood rests, but ya can't have everything !!

Time consuming , but very satisfying in the end.

I even made the stanchion top bracket.

Then I got out the walking foot sewing machine and made the roof and the side curtains.

A few days work, but at least I got it exactly how I wanted it.
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 5 photos.

Amazing!!!

Comment

• Mitch
      Mitch commented
      Editing a comment
      I second the Amazing and first the Genius!

Haha Mitch, no.... I was the only mechanical minded kid in my family of 4 siblings.

The old man was into bikes and had a workshop with a huge old lathe.

I was getting the old thumpers going from the age of 11 and got my first car a 39 ford deluxe at 14 , was riding and driving the streets at 15 with no license or rego (or money).

So this was a good apprenticeship for this game we play now.

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• pooch
      Ballarat swap meet 2019
      by pooch
      Not sure what the back of this ute is.

Not a Geelong ute.

Probably a one off farmer's build.

Canadian deluxe folding stanchions for a 28/29.

A feral 34 or 33 (I don't know the difference) chopped ute.

Dunno what body style it started life as, but it looked a treat driving in.

The driver...
      03-02-2019, 01:15 AM
    • Bill G
      Great Support and thankfulness
      by Bill G
      Yesterday, being Thanksgiving in the US, I sort of got a little carried away with feeling thankful for just about everything. Health being one of them. A dear friend of ours is in rehab after suffering a heart attack, and I feel rather lucky, even with the aches and pains that go along with getting older.

Two and a half years ago I bought a Model A. It is something my wife and I have...
      11-29-2019, 12:32 PM
    • pooch
      Pics of an A ute at Maldon swap
      by pooch
      Even tho the A was obsolete by 5 years when it was first built, it still looks ultra modern beside the green 28 chev .

A farmer's fix.

12-17-2018, 11:49 AM
    • pooch
      Some pics from the swap yesterday
      by pooch
      Ford swap at Eastern Creek on july 28.

34 cabriolet from Argentina.

37 sedan.

1920 T truck.

In the car park was this older build T bucket, 48 ? Sedan, 48 ? convertible.

Was a bit of speed gear there, and a complete lincoln V 12 motor in bits.
      07-28-2018, 05:44 PM
    • pooch
      My first rod, a 28 roadster.
      by pooch
      I started with this. more to come...

I only wanted the cowl, as I was going to build extended doors, but the door hinge screws were rusted on so I gave the guy another $100 , and I was glad I did when I got around to building it.

Scored an already boxed A chassis and a few more bits

HR holden independent front end with discs.

08-29-2018, 06:01 PM
    • don3527
      1930 AA Hearse For Sale
      by don3527
      I have decided to part with our 1930 hearse. Appears to be all original and never been torn apart. Some of the hub caps are missing but otherwise is a very complete. Runs and drives fine but the ring gear does have some bad teeth on it. This is the unrestored hearse that was featured in the July-August 2018 issue of the Model A News. I was going to restore the car but have decided I have too many...
      01-03-2019, 07:10 AM
    • tbirdtbird
      A few Yellowstone and Glacier Natl Park photos
      by tbirdtbird
      60 Dallas club people and 15 Model As just got back from the parks after a 10 day tour.
      The buses are 1937 Whites. The yellow ones are in Yellowstone, the red ones in Glacier. There were over 100 yellow ones in the beginning. After decades, they were falling into disrepair. Ford re-framed and re-powered them, and left the coaches alone for that vintage look. They bear both the White emblem and...
      08-16-2017, 04:45 PM
    • pooch
      From last sunday's show at Kiama NSW
      by pooch
      A few pics....

Lincoln V12 with a hidden legal exhaust under and electric gate valves when the noise is to be put straight out the top.

Note nailed boards for a roof and you can guess what FNLO means.

Supercharged T coupe.

09-11-2018, 02:10 AM
    • Mitch
      Valve Stems, Installation, Metal Stem
      by Mitch
      Metal Valve Stem Installation Procedures

Courtesy John Carter!

Usually the hobbyist purchases new tubes with the metal stems already installed. If you want to convert your old tubes over or just install the metal stems yourself this may help you out.

10-17-2018, 07:34 AM
    • carolinamudwalker
      Ford Garage Restaurants
      by carolinamudwalker
      FL. has 12 of these neat restaurants We had lunch in Lakeland. They had 25 beers on tap and no I did not try all of them. The napkin holders disappear but they order new ones a thousand at a time. The elevated A would start up, give a puff of smoke and sound the horn every 15-20 minutes. NEAT PLACE

10-16-2019, 09:22 AM
    Working...
    X