Making a over head valve head at home

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by George Miller View Post
    No Mitch I do not but i can ask my Son he might have one. If not I could run it on the test stand. But it would be a while before I could get it done.
    I found one at a hill climb but it will not post. It has a mpg at the end of it.
    Last edited by George Miller; 06-12-2019, 09:09 AM.

Comment

I found one at a hill climb but it will not post. It has a mpg at the end of it.
      George Email it to me and i'll post it up

vintagefordforum@gmail.com
      3 ~ Tudor's
      Henry Ford said
      "It's all nuts and bolts"

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

Originally posted by BudP View Post
        This is simply amazing George! I have never seen this done. The amount of knowledge, the skills and the craftsmanship you display by successfully competing your final product must give you great satisfaction. Thanks for "opening the window" on this process!
        I was lucky I grew up in a family that had a cement block and gravel business. My Dad and uncles made a lot of there things that they needed. Built there own houses, built the cement block factory building, built there own gravel bins, built a barge with a big gravel pump inside to pump sand and gravel from the pond. Repaired there own trucks. plus much more. So I grew up not knowing that I could not do it. My wise Dad said there is nothing in life you can not do, but there maybe a lot of things you won't do.

Comment

455 Olds head cut into 001.jpg28 Chev head on Model A engine 001.jpg
          First picture is a 455 olds head cut in to, before welding in a 1 inch block.
          Second picture of a 1928 chev head on a model A engine
          Last edited by George Miller; 06-12-2019, 03:57 PM.

Comment

Here is George’s hill climb video using his home made head.

3 ~ Tudor's
            Henry Ford said

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

HOLY SMOKES!!

Do you know how hard it is to burn any rubber with any Model A?

He not only has to take it easy at the start to not burn the tires off, he chirps in second and third gear!!

What a drive, THANKS for sharing. I have a whole new respect for the machine work done on that head.

George, did you even check to see what kind of horsepower you are getting to the tires? Even a guesstimate?

What transmission you running behind that beast?
              Whenever I pass someone who's texting and driving, I throw my beer at their window.

Comment

No I have no clue. But I had to put bolts in to the frame to jack the weight on the right rear and left front to keep from spinning the tires real bad. It was fun to drive. I'm thinking over a 100 hp at the engine. One thing you have to have is a radius in the corners of the rod journals and mains or you will be braking a crank shaft. No one wanted to put radius on there grinding wheel so I ground the crank in my lath, with a portable crank grinder from my Dads garage.
                Last edited by George Miller; 06-13-2019, 02:42 PM.

Comment

Ok, need to know, what was the distance traveled, and what kind of time?

Short distance, I would bet 4:11 rear ratio with stock size tires.
                  Whenever I pass someone who's texting and driving, I throw my beer at their window.

Comment

I was running a 39 Ford transmission ,but about that time I changed to a F 150 four speed with 4 gear being over drive. I think that it had the 39 ford then, but not sure. It was one of the two.

Comment

Originally posted by DaWizard View Post
                      Ok, need to know, what was the distance traveled, and what kind of time?

Short distance, I would bet 4:11 rear ratio with stock size tires.
                      It has a stock 3:78 I will look up figures.
                      I'm still looking for my time slips, but my guise is 10 tenth of a mile, speed around 60, time some where in the 9 seconds range. There was maybe 10 percent grade.
                      Last edited by George Miller; 06-13-2019, 03:40 PM.

Comment

is there any interest in a thread on this ? if so where.
                        This will be Fun, Mr. George.

Thanks,

Herm.

Comment

What an excellent thread George.
                          3 ~ Tudor's
                          Henry Ford said

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

this is how I ground the crankshaft. In my lath with my Dads old probable crank grinder.

DSC01374.JPGDSC01373.JPG

Comment

This is what happens if you do not use a radius on a high hp model A engine.

DSC01375.JPG

Comment

OUCH!
                                Dan Reynolds

Comment

I remember Andy Blackburn coming over to my garage with his portable crankshaft grinder and turning the throw on my 53 Studebaker that I managed to destroy as a teenager, back in 1960. It held up fine, but when I think back to the dirty conditions we worked in those days, I'm amazed.

George, you are a man above us all with your skills and the things you manage to pull off. Sure wish I lived closer and could just go hang around while you work, bet I could learn sooo much.

Question: when selecting a head to adapt to the model A block (as in the case of the Olds), did you consider any other with a closer match on bore spacing, or is there just nothing that matches up better? I'm thinking maybe a 6 cylinder head or something might line up better.

Also, on the head you filled from scratch, why did you choose to not do a hemi design? Seems like that would get you bigger valves and better flow... Just curious...
                                  Last edited by Corley; 07-06-2019, 10:10 AM.
                                  CB the Wonderful

Comment

Well the truth is I found the olds head at work in the dumpster. I looked at it and said, that is real close to the model A block.
                                    I'm not that fond of the hemi
                                    The Model A has more space between 2 and 3 because the dist has to go there. So no head that I know of would work. with out work to make it fit.
                                    Last edited by George Miller; 07-09-2019, 08:55 AM. Reason: added to

Comment

Well the truth is I found the olds head at work in the dumpster. I looked at it and said, that is real close to the model A block.
                                      I'm not that fond of the hemi
                                      The Model A has more space between 2 and 3 because the dist has to go there. So no head that I know of would work. with out work to make it fit.
                                      Here is another story, Over Head Valve Conversion Story they said it could not be done.

Comment

I was lucky I grew up in a family that had a cement block and gravel business. My Dad and uncles made a lot of there things that they needed. Built there own houses, built the cement block factory building, built there own gravel bins, built a barge with a big gravel pump inside to pump sand and gravel from the pond. Repaired there own trucks. plus much more. So I grew up not knowing that I could not do it. My wise Dad said there is nothing in life you can not do, but there maybe a lot of things you won't do.
                                        But George, you also have a hefty dose of gray mater to go along with your upbringing.

Comment