1 of 2 < >

Modified Technical Forum

Chassis, Body, Technical
2 of 2 < >

Early Modified Forums

General Discussion
See more
See less

Solved a problem, that I did think was rather more than what I thought it was.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Solved a problem, that I did think was rather more than what I thought it was.

Model A hiboy with buggy spring, dropped axle , split bones.

Last sunday, I had a niggly shake/almost a death wobble from front wheels.

It got progressively worse as I managed to get home.

Discovered a perch nut had fallen off, and dropped the lower shock mount off, so no damping on the left side.

The shock had struck something and it was ruined by hitting back on the axle.

I replaced the nut and not having another shock, went for a test run, to see if it was any different to when the nut was missing.

It was in fact worse.

The shaking was real bad , started at about 35 MPH and it compounded itself very quickly, I was lucky to pull off the road and still hang onto the steering wheel.

I thought about this a bit, and as the panhard bar is connected to the right side chassis and left hand wishbone, it must be setting up a harmonic imbalance as the axle moves up and down and movement goes sideways with the arc of the panhard.

I changed the good shock on right over to left and went for a run, not really expecting it to be better.

But it was perfect, so this means, that if a shock ever goes soft on the arced end of a panhard, this is what to look for.

That is very interesting. Will need to put some thought into that.
    You wana look waaay far up da road and plan yer route because the brakes are far more of a suggestion than a command!

Comment

And Wiz, the panhard bar is at perfect angle, just a little down to wishbone,to allow upwards bump, so arc length movement is minimal and the bar is the longest possible.

The sideways movement would be miniscule, but it must be just enough to start an oscillation going and then compound it.

Comment

Well, I rang the dudes who make these shocks, and the woman on the end was real rude and abrupt.

She said we don't make them anymore and have no stock and hung up.

I then chased all over the net, but could not find anything the same size, and thought I had a major job having to redesign my upper shock brackets.

So, as a last resort I rang the guy who actually bought them for me off this supplier in the hope he may have one lying around.

He agreed that the woman is a real piece of work, but she does talk civilly to us account customers.

Within an hour, he said they have not got any, but they wil supply a pair maybe before christmas.

Funny, one thinks how some businesses survive with attitude like that.

He also said, they can possibly fix mine.

I said no, the body is dented, he said. they can replace the body.

??? I said jeez, you would reckon that would cost more than a new one.

They are $295 AUD a pair, i said , just order me 2 new ones and I will have a spare.

sh1.jpgsh2.jpg

As I was looking at the front end , I noticed this side shackle was not 45 degrees, as it was when I built it.

Dunno why, checked all bolts, including spring U bolts, all OK, so re adjusted the panhard bar a couple of threads, looks better now.

Comment

• Mitch
          Mitch commented
          Editing a comment
          There is no modern shock interchange that would work on this application?

Now I have same coming, that will fix it.
        I liked these brushed SS.
        Painted looks crap and chrome goes rusty in months.

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• Ayyy
          MGB, Armstrong Rear Shock Absorbers For Ford Model A Pickup (All Cars Too)
          by Ayyy
          Original Thread

This is a brief summary about the installation of Armstrong lever-type shock absorbents (image 01) on my 1930 Model A pickup. I wanted to document this process since not much detailed information is out there, especially regarding light commercial trucks.

BACKGROUND

I have an unrestored late 1930 closed cab pickup. Ford gave the...
          06-17-2018, 01:45 AM
        • Ayyy
          MGB, Armstrong Rear Shock Absorbers For Ford Model A Pickup (All Cars Too)
          by Ayyy
          This is a brief summary about the installation of Armstrong lever-type shock absorbents (image 01) on my 1930 Model A pickup. I wanted to document this process since not much detailed information is out there, especially regarding light commercial trucks.

BACKGROUND

I have an unrestored late 1930 closed cab pickup. Ford gave the pickups a stout ten leaf rear spring to handle...
          06-17-2018, 01:45 AM
        • Bobm90
          Friction Shocks - Part 2 - Rear
          by Bobm90
          Installing friction shocks on the rear of my Model A Sedan was more of a challenge than installing them on the front. The stock shock on the right rear was a non entity, no resistance at all even when re-filled, scuff marks can be seen in the photos on the inner fender well from the original shock link. The biggest challenge was to move the new shock out far enough away from the frame to clear the...
          08-17-2018, 09:45 AM
        • Dave in MD
          Front End Sag on 1929 Sports Coupe
          by Dave in MD
          One of our club members was driving his 1929 Coupe to his garage behind his house. While driving on a grassy area, he heard a very loud clunk from the front end. When he got the car into his garage he noticed the driver side of the front end was much lower (about three inches) than the passenger side. When we looked at it yesterday, we saw the shock arm and link on the passenger side were in a straight...
          08-29-2017, 03:35 PM
        • Beauford
          Spring Perch
          by Beauford
          Never really thought about my front spring perches too much when building my car until I saw a thread here on them. I know they were in good shape in the beginning as theres not much to them. I went under and noticed one of the special castle nuts was really bad..like some of the nut was missing on the backside. So ordered two new special nuts. While I wait I decided I should remove the nut. The nut...
          09-22-2018, 02:14 PM
        • Dennis
          Touring and stabilizer bar
          by Dennis
          I have often wondered why somebody hasn't come up with a stabilizer bar for the rear of a Model A to reduce the lean...
          02-08-2018, 12:36 PM
        • Bobm90
          Front Spring Perches
          by Bobm90
          While I was lerking around under the front end of my car the other day I noticed a extreem difference in the amount of threads that protroued from my front spring perches where they are connected to the radius rod. Left side had about 1/4 inch of thread showing, right side had NONE showing in fact the threads stopped about 1/8 inch short (about 3/4 way thru the nut) of the end of the nut. I see no...
          09-20-2018, 09:51 AM
        • Captndan
          Shock links
          by Captndan
          Sooner or later you are going to rebuild a shock link. Problem is the link and your hands are greasy. Other problem is the parts won't stay put when you try to put the link on. So, put the link together on the bench but leave the top cap off. Fill the link with grease Red Sticky is advised. Put the link on the shock FIRST then on the perch. Put in the cap adjust and use a cotter pin. Clean...
          06-14-2017, 05:34 PM
        • Corley
          Rear Spring length
          by Corley
          Put a Camero rear axle in my pickup with a model A spring on top of it. I then removed some leaves to lower the rear, but now on a big bump, the spring has increased in length so much that the end of the spring hits the axle housing. Are their any shorter springs available that still fit over the differential housing, off the shelf? I know I could have the ends of mine cut and re-curled, but it...
          06-13-2018, 10:08 PM
        • carolinamudwalker
          Front wheel bearings
          by carolinamudwalker
          When I rock my front wheels by the top of the tire I can feel a very slight movement between the brake drum and backing plate. How can I tell if it is loose bearings or kingpins?
          02-08-2018, 09:07 AM
        Working...
        X