Stock oil filter

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stock oil filter

I am using the stock flatty filter for the first time on my new engine. While cleaning it up I find only one very small hole in the inner tube about an inch from the top. Should there be more? I also have the restriction fitting at the canister inlet. These holes sure do seem to be small.

Look forward to the answers so I can move on.

Fourdy

I thought the restricter inlet had 1 hole and the inner pipe had 2 holes?

1/16th inch diameter for all holes.

Comment

Those filters are a JOKE! Just a by-pass filter & filter just a tiny bit of the oil. That was COMMON, on many Old Makes of cars.
      Dad

Comment

Bill, I have read that these do a very good job.

They filter all the oil (eventually).

I would guess about every 20 sump fulls around the engine, it would catch all the particles that are too big to fit thru the filter medium.

Of course as long as you do not have a chunk that won't fit thru the restrictor hole.......

How long does it take 20 sump fulls to do a round?

Maybe 2 or 3 minutes ... total guess, but it would not be long.

I drilled and fitted a 95 % full flow on my last engine, as I did not want the ugly bypass can sitting on top and the inherent reduction in oil pressure that comes with this system.

Comment

Pooch, any idea what pressure a good tight engine would produce with this set up?

Comment

• DaWizard
            DaWizard commented
            Editing a comment
            I used to get 80# out of an 8BA engine.

• pooch
            pooch commented
            Editing a comment
            Yup, as Wiz says 80 at start up, then it will prob drop a bit.

You do lose some pressure thru those by pass cans, but flatties do not need much if stock, now BLOWN, that is another thing.

When you said you can only find one hole in the inner tube, scratch around a bit more , I am sure there should be 2 .

Supposed to be double the size going out than in.

Ok - got the canister cleaned up and I do have 2 very clear small holes in the tube. Plumbing is done so now for some paint. Thanks to all of you for your help.

Fourdy

Comment

Painted, lines made, trial fit.
            Attached Files

Comment

Oh, that looks very sweet. What ya doin with the extra line inside the valve galley stickin out the back? I know what color the car is! Oh, never mind, I bet you are oiling a blower or turbo...can't wait to see the finish, I am so jealous....
              "We do not stop playing because we grow old;
              We grow old because we stop playing ...
              NEVER Be The First To Get Old!" Pilfered from the MAFC SA Newsletter

I JUST CAN'T FIX STUPID!!

Comment

• Fourdy
                Fourdy commented
                Editing a comment
                DaWizard - thanks for the words.This will be a blown Weind 142 kit from Joe Abbin Road Runner Engineering. The tube you see is my PCV system that I used on the last engine and it worked very well.

• DaWizard
                DaWizard commented
                Editing a comment
                Oh, so you aren't going to oil the blower bearings, kewl. Still can't wait to see this finished.

Fourdy, are you using a stock or hi volume oil pump ?

When you get it going, it would be an interesting experiment to detach the return tube to the oil pan and run it into a container for a minute and work out what volume of oil is going thru the filter.

Comment

• Fourdy
                Fourdy commented
                Editing a comment
                Pooch - I don't recall but sure it isn't a high pressure.

Fourdy, It is hi pressure going in thru the one hole, and I have been told it does not escape thru the 2 holes as quickly as it goes in.

So I would say it is low pressure going out.

ie, I have asked the question if the canister top could be left off while engine was idling, and people say no, it will over flow out the top.

Was just curious as to how much oil thru it.

Comment

widgetinstance 451 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
              Working...
              X