S10 Brakes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• S10 Brakes

Any members with information regarding adapting GM ,S10 Disc brakes using Original 29 Spindles?

I'm using stock spindles on both the CCPU and Elvira. Some people think they are too weak to hold a caliper. They hold the stock A backing plates, which have the full rotational forces of the braking, so they should easily hold the disk braking forces. The issue of weakness come in if you take the easy route and don't support the caliper using all 4 bolts, but opt for just two. So, your caliper bracket should be made to use at least 3 of the 4 bolts.

On mine, the caliper bracket is bolted to the inside of the spindle, and has a one washer spacer. This is to locate the caliper far enough back to center it over the rotor. Make sure you are dealing with a flat surface back there, too large of a washer will ride up on the un-machined surface.

I've had no issues with anything moving, wearing, or breaking. The stock spindles have worked fine for me, they brake just fine. If I had a big heavy HEMI in there, I'd obviously give it more thought.

Just my opinion...
    Last edited by Corley; 01-04-2021, 08:12 AM.
    CB the Wonderful

Comment

good information, do you recall the year of S10 Rotors you used and if bearings fit Model A?

Comment

On the CCPU I rounded up bearings by dimensions. On Elvira, I'm trying an experiment using the original model a bearings with the S10 races. They are what I'd call an almost fit. The hubs, rotors, and calipers are from any first generation s10. I think they are all the same, but mine were from an '88 and '92 (I think).
        CB the Wonderful

Comment

I would never mix and match timkin bearings, good luck with that??

Comment

Originally posted by old victoria View Post
            thanks for input. would you be able to share some information on this issue?

Comment

Originally posted by Corley View Post
              On the CCPU I rounded up bearings by dimensions. On Elvira, I'm trying an experiment using the original model a bearings with the S10 races. They are what I'd call an almost fit. The hubs, rotors, and calipers are from any first generation s10. I think they are all the same, but mine were from an '88 and '92 (I think).
              Corley, did you fabricate a caliper mounting bracket or use something store bought?

Comment

Originally posted by old victoria View Post
                That is also what I have always been told, and I believe it is not a good practice as well. Like I said, it is an experiment. They are sold individually (bearing and cone), have the same tapper, so the only real issue is the rollers are up the cone a touch further, but they are not a matched set. I don't recommend it to anyone, it is an experiment. I'll be pulling them apart soon for inspection, and replace with the correct parts at that time, but I did not have those PNS on the shelf, so thought I'd give this a try. At least it allowed me to put it together, and this time of year here, we just can't get the cars out in the rain anyway.
                Last edited by Corley; 01-04-2021, 08:01 PM.
                CB the Wonderful

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• Captndan
                  Brakes
                  by Captndan
                  I can’t remember. Who was recommended for rebuilding brakes?
                  03-24-2019, 08:26 AM
                • bettlesr
                  Flathead Ted's setup with '35 front brakes
                  by bettlesr
                  Can I use the Ted's front parts I used with the original '30 brakes on my car if I change the front brakes to '35 assemblies or are the modified parts different?
                  10-17-2017, 09:58 PM
                • bosticjb
                  Brakes
                  by bosticjb
                  Finally I got brakes that will stop,, After sending my drums.shoes and e brake linings to Randy Gross and he worked his magic I now have safe brakes, If you want great service And quality workmanship call Randy Gross...
                  10-13-2019, 07:04 PM
                • Tom Wesenberg
                  Interesting Brief History of Car Brakes
                  by Tom Wesenberg
                  I did a Google search to see what car first used Disc brakes, and I came across this interesting time period chart for brakes.

http://www.carhistory4u.com/the-last...the-car/brakes
                  05-26-2017, 04:53 AM
                • Doctor J
                  Front end/brake problems
                  by Doctor J
                  My 1930 Town sedan was parked for over 9 months. When I got it out to drive, it started right up, but the front end shuttered every time the brakes were applied. I thought some rust had built up. Drove it around for a while, gently riding the brakes and it seemed better. But going down a real steep hill, I applied the brakes and the whole car jumped to the right every time the brakes were applied....
                  08-01-2018, 03:29 PM
                • Jamey E
                  Front & Rear brakes
                  by Jamey E
                  Our next mission is to inspect the brakes on the car. Can you guys give me any pointers or lead me to a technical thread on this? Also are there any special tools that we’ll need to work on the brakes or pullers to remove the drums?
                  07-06-2019, 02:16 PM
                • krasnejv
                  1955 Ford Customline Front Disc Conversion
                  by krasnejv
                  Hello,

I have a 1955 Ford Customline with drum brakes that I have recently had converted to power brakes. After the conversion, the brakes are now very touchy. I barely have to push the pedal and the brakes really take hold. The mechanic that did the work said I should convert to front disc brakes (with a proportioning valve) to alleviate this condition. However, I can't find a conversion...
                  07-15-2020, 11:47 AM
                • copgib
                  Question on Mechanical Brakes
                  by copgib
                  Since my Model A has only hydraulic brakes on the back and nothing on front, does anyone care to guess what it might cost me in parts to put mechanical brakes on it. Trying to get some idea what my expense would be in parts. Thanks for any help. Hugh
                  02-11-2018, 08:50 PM
                • d.j. moordigian
                  E-28 brakes, A-2480 "dog bone"
                  by d.j. moordigian
                  Anybody have a print or know what diameter the 2 spheres were originally?.........the one I have measures .550".
                  Thanks,
                  Dudley
                  12-16-2020, 11:15 AM
                • copgib
                  Question for members who have juice brakes
                  by copgib
                  My question is: How do you have your emergency brake setup if you have hydraulic brakes all around?
                  02-15-2018, 06:53 PM
                Working...
                X