19 inch wheels cut down

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 19 inch wheels cut down

I had some 17/s cut to 15/s and widened for my AV8 and really like them.

Next month I am cutting down some 16/s to 15/s for my pickup.

Has anyone ever cut down and widened 19/s ?

Was looking at a set of 19/s today and wonder what they would look like with the exposed nuts and small cap in 15 X 8 and 15 X 6..

Holly crap, getting spoke wheels cut down and straight, seems really hard. I'm assuming you are welding the spokes to the new rim, and that seems a bit iffy to me. But you say you have cut others down, so you must know what you are doing. If you do these, how about a picture?
    CB the Wonderful

Comment

I would like to see some info and pics also about cutting wheels down
      Thanks
      3 ~ Tudor's
      Henry Ford said
      "It's all nuts and bolts"

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

Friend, Ted, (RIP) was a GENIUS at cutting down 19s & adding 16" rims. His fixture was a HEAVY steel plate, with a spindle & hub, mounted in the middle. His wheels always came out straight!----"Maybe" I'm a WORRY-WART, BUT at 65 MPH, I would always "WORRY" about ALL those WELDED SPOKES!!!---I'd NEVER-EVER drive a car with WOOD SPOKE Wheels!!!!
        Dad Chickenliver

Comment

I use a guy who has been doing these for years.

Says he has done over 1500 sets and never any problem or come back.

I was a bit concerned about fitting 8 inch rims, but he said he has done up to 12 inch rims on a 32 to 35 spoked centre.

I was with him all day when he did my last set and saw the process all the way thru.

He is old skool and uses oxy and stick weld only.

I asked him about plasma and mig, he said he has never used it and too old to learn, and besides, I would never get a mig nozzle around the spokes.

His life long business has been wheel building and repairs.

Comment

• Mitch
            Mitch commented
            Editing a comment
            Strap your Go Pro on him so we can learn

Am booked in nov 2 , will ask him if i can take pics.

Comment

I used to have a pair of 21"s that were cut down to 16”
            I never used them, I re-sold them.
            I see rims like these pop up at the flea markets from time to time.
            Twiss Collector Car Parts

Comment

Hey Pooch,did this happen? Did you get any pictures?

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• KB9JLO
                Wheels
                by KB9JLO
                I tried searching for an answer but really couldn't find anything.

I think the bolt circle is 5 x 5.5" - and I know that may later model wheels will fit on a Model A. Like 32, I think it's 35-36 and so on. But what about just plain steel wheels?
                What sorts of sizes are available? I mean 15", 16" or other?
                At some point would like to have wider tires and maybe...
                06-27-2019, 05:29 PM
              • Beauford
                Egg wheels...
                by Beauford
                So a couple of my wheels look out of round. How do I know it is not the hub, tire.... Many of you know the rusted, pitted project I have been working on. The wheels I had were horrid looking but I decided to blast and paint. I bought on eBay four really great condition wheels that are currently getting powder coated. You cant feel anything driving but when I drive the chassis I notice right front...
                06-26-2017, 06:15 PM
              • Tommy117
                Wheels for 41 ford tudor
                by Tommy117
                I have a 1941 Ford tudor with a frame-off restoration. I would like to keep it in the present stop form but I would also like to add Wheels Chrome or mag wheels to it with 15 inch tires. It has a 3in backspacing now with five on five and a half lug patterns and I'd like to know if somebody has put 15 inch wheels and tires on on one. If someone could give me some info on which Wheels to use and about...
                08-20-2018, 09:03 PM
              • Hoogah
                Wheely good wheels
                by Hoogah
                Some Model A wheels are coming up for sale near me. I think a couple of spares would be handy, and might put in a bid, but don't want to cart home junk either! What criteria should I use to assess the value of wheels in this condition or similar?
                01-29-2019, 08:40 PM
              • Curly
                How to know if wheels (rims) are good?
                by Curly
                I am trying to put 5 good 19 inch wheels together for powder coating. How does one determine if the wheels are good? Any tell tale things to look for?

i thought I would put them on and spin them to check for straightness, but I don’t know how accurate this might be. I will also check each individual spoke.

Thanks in advance....
                11-14-2017, 11:36 PM
              • carolinamudwalker
                ajustable spoke wheels
                by carolinamudwalker
                I guess I am loosing it. I thought I saw a post about new model A wheels with adjustable spokes? I did a search but nothing came up. The post also said not to buy the new wheels made in South America.
                05-05-2019, 08:38 AM
              • Mickey
                Tacoma Cream wheels
                by Mickey
                Got the wheels back today and the tires mounted. The color on the single wheel is a little washed out in the picture. Thanks Mitch for the wheels. Still need to get up there and pick up the spare wheel.
                09-30-2019, 02:18 PM
              • Jwmckenzie
                Wood Spoke Wheels
                by Jwmckenzie
                I have seen, on a Woody in Dallas, and know there were Wood Spoke wheels available for Model A’s, specifically targeted to the Woodies. They would look Sweeet on my Station Wagon.

These have been on eBay for a while.

Could these be T wheels? Anybody know the difference? How would a wood spoke wheel mount to a Model A drum?...
                12-16-2018, 09:48 AM
              • davew
                Wheel spoke broken
                by davew
                I was cleaning rims on my 30 coupe and noticed a broken spoke. Can this be welded up? Checked the archives and didn't find anything on this. Also how hard to straighten slightly bent spokes. Thanks David
                09-22-2018, 10:47 AM
              • MontanaRed
                Wooden Spoked Wheels
                by MontanaRed
                My Model T has wooden spoked wheels that have dried out, besides that they seem to be in good shape,(no cracking or splintering) my question is whats the best way to rehydrate the spokes....
                10-10-2018, 05:46 PM
              Working...
              X