preservation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• preservation

I have a late Tudor that I would like to knock down the surface rust on. I'm not going to restore it for some time, so I just need to knock the surface rust down, without removing the original finishes (what's left). I then need to prevent the rusts return. this process would be similar to the preservation of a low mileage original. what process is used on the low mileage cars for surface rust removal, and what is used for preservation? I've heard Gibbs oil, anything else?
    http://jmodela.coffeecup.com

Jim I have no first hand knowledge on this. I do know of a guy who took an early fifties Pontiac that had a mix of some paint remaining and some surface rust, and waxed the entire car with car wax. The patina was awesome and the car was protected. In the process a lot of the fine surface rust was removed. Of course if any type of wax or oil is used, later it would have to be totally removed in order to get fresh paint to properly adhere.

Can you tell us what Gibbs oil is? Dave
    Last edited by tbirdtbird; 03-19-2018, 12:50 AM.

Comment

I was in the same position when I got my Town Sedan, the solution? I sanded it lightly and sprayed it with Rustoleum "Rusty Metal Primer" and Kept it covered with a plastic Tarp for two years. It seemed to stop the progression of the rust. Today, I would wash it with vinegar in addition to the paint.
      Terry

Comment

I'd probably just wipe it all over with an oil soaked rag. I used to buy GIBBS at threshing shows, but haven't found any for the past few years.

Speaking of threshing shows, the big Le Sueur, MN swap meet is the weekend after Brent's workshop. Usually find some Model A parts there.
        If I make it there, I'll be looking for some GIBBS again. April 27, 28, 29 and set up is late Thursday.

Comment

Doing a search resulted in >>>Gibbs, WD-40, Linseed oil, or a good wax that goes on clear....
          I found this video also

3 ~ Tudor's
          Henry Ford said
          "It's all nuts and bolts"

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

Linseed oil and turpintine half and half. Straight linseed oil is too thick and will build a nasty layer.
            Bill
            http://www.brauchauto.com/
            Eastern Connecticut

Comment

I believe linseed oil on a rag is highly combustible so just use caution if you are taking that route
              3 ~ Tudor's
              Henry Ford said
              "It's all nuts and bolts"

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

• Mickey
                Mickey commented
                Editing a comment
                Mitch is right. It's not while you're using it it's after you toss it aside or put it in trash (don't do that!). It can generate enough heat will drying (your rags) to spontaneously burst into flames.

• Mitch
                Mitch commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks MIckey I should have expanded further on the dangers.

On one of my late model cars the top was rusty. The paint had peeled off and primer didn’t keep the rust from showing. I used some rust restore that converts the rust, maybe some day I will paint the top or just sell the car. The rust converter has kept the rust at bay for over a year, the car is always outside.

Comment

Good ideas! Keep them coming. how about engine / undercarriage /under fenders? Any removal ideas that will remove rust bloom, but leave original pant.
                I see hours of dirt in my future....
                http://jmodela.coffeecup.com

Comment

I've used my syphon sprayer to shoot drain oil on the underside of some cars. It has to help, but if you drive the car, it needs to be reapplied often.

Comment

• Mitch
                    Mitch commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I was thinking that as well

This truck got the most attention of all the Model A's I have done. It was put together from parts.Most thought it was a original survivor truck.
                  1928 pickup.JPG
                  Last edited by George Miller; 03-19-2018, 04:41 PM.

Comment

"Extend" is a spray product that converts Iron oxide to iron phosphate. It will turn black. Supposed to stop the formation of rust.

Comment

Fine grade of steel wool on the rust followed by Johnson's Paste Wax.

Comment

• DaWizard
                        DaWizard commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Hey crosscut, WELCOME to the VFF!!

Related Topics

Collapse

• cpf240
                      Seeking Advice: Paint and Rust Issues
                      by cpf240
                      My father bought this '29 Special Coupe back in '78. It was in typical barn find condition. At that time, a restoration was started, but never finished. From '80 or so onward, it sat in two different garages, one in Santa Monica, and then sat outside under a tarp in Costa Mesa for several years. So, it has had some salt air exposure.

My father didn't do the work himself, but my grandfather...
                      You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                      This gallery has 6 photos.
                      09-14-2018, 08:46 PM
                    • Mitch
                      Sub-frame prep
                      by Mitch
                      I have a sub frame that has surface rust but I'm not sandblasting it at all. I want to brush paint this with Rustoleum. Should I spray it down with Ospho first before painting it or just go ahead and paint it?
                      10-18-2019, 07:00 AM
                    • ClaudeC
                      effective paint on rust remover
                      by ClaudeC
                      Is there an effective "paint on rust remover" or do all require you soak the item.
                      12-28-2019, 07:43 AM
                    • Terry, NJ
                      Making the chassis pretty!
                      by Terry, NJ
                      Yesterday I pulled the coupe body off frame. Lotta RUST! I know I've seen restorations where the frame looks like new metal, not a pit to be seen! How do they do it? Just grind the rust away and then paint it? Fill in the pits with Bondo? What's the secret? This is a chassis, the foundation of the car! I don't want to weaken it.
                      Terry
                      07-02-2019, 04:10 PM
                    • Terry, NJ
                      Anyone ever heard of this paint?
                      by Terry, NJ
                      OK! In my never ending search for a cheaper paint, I was pointed in this direction. It's called RUST SCAT. And it's one of those new water based paints (That we never hear anything good about!) It's an acrylic enamel. You thin it with water. Dry to the touch in 1/2 hour, totally cured , 7 - 10 days. High gloss RUST SCAT 80, for a satin finish, RUST SCAT 90. And NOT TO BE USED ON HOUSES Cost? haven't...
                      04-03-2020, 11:19 AM
                    • George Miller
                      Painting my T
                      by George Miller
                      Hope Dave gives some advice on this. I have been sanding my T coupe body. It was left out side for a long time. Most of the paint is gone, it has a lot of surface rust only two places that it rusted through. I have sand blasted and sanded but still see rust in the metal in the bottom of the pits. What is the best way to fix that.

I'm not a real body man, but I have painted my own cars,...
                      02-01-2019, 03:53 PM
                    • tbirdtbird
                      More on prep for painting using phosphoric acid such as Ospho with pic
                      by tbirdtbird
                      I am forever promoting using this prep for freshly blasted metal or otherwise cleaned.
                      This is a hood from the M5 I am working on. Like all the other sheet metal, it was water blasted a year ago. The water blasters put in a special chemical to stop it from flash rusting, but that stuff only lasts a day or two.

Few people are prepared to prime their sheet metal immediately, esp since...
                      02-19-2018, 09:56 PM
                    • tbirdtbird
                      More on prep for painting using phosphoric acid such as Ospho with pic
                      by tbirdtbird
                      Original Thread

I am forever promoting using this prep for freshly blasted metal or otherwise cleaned.
                      This is a hood from the M5 I am working on. Like all the other sheet metal, it was water blasted a year ago. The water blasters put in a special chemical to stop it from flash rusting, but that stuff only lasts a day or two.

Few people are prepared to prime...
                      02-19-2018, 09:56 PM
                    • Dennis
                      What is bonderizing?
                      by Dennis
                      I started my last major project of painting my car after the first week of this year. I am stripping everything down to bare metal and have started work on my splash aprons. I noticed the metal has shades of dark blue and dark bronze colors. I dug out my paint and finish guide because I thought I had read something about the process the fenders had gone through to be painted. So what is the difference...
                      01-20-2020, 04:43 PM
                    • gpmiller76
                      Rough surface on left rear of 1915 T
                      by gpmiller76
                      I am considering purchasing a 1915 T touring. The left rear panel has a rough surface. It is not bondo, as a magnet sticks to it all over. Is it rust? The paint is at least 15 years old, according to the owner. There is no flaking and the metal seems firm when I thump it with mu knuckle. The rough surface starts at the top of the panel and does not extend to the bottom of the panel See attached...
                      You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                      This gallery has 1 photos.
                      10-12-2017, 07:54 PM
                    Working...
                    X