fender colours

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fender colours

Did fenders on Model A cars come from factory any other colour other than black dipped ? or just a standard across the board .. Black .

I was told by an old timer that they were always black

and how they dipped stuff and did not get runs I will never know.......

Comment

• Mickey
      Mickey commented
      Editing a comment
      I often wondered about the lack of runs. How did they do that???

There are runs on the underside. ask again in the spring I'll take a picture of the nos fenders I have
    http://jmodela.coffeecup.com

Comment

• canadian
      canadian commented
      Editing a comment
      Jim you have NOS fenders !!! would love to just see them , just restored 89 year old fenders quite the undertaking .

IMO many nos fenders were 2nd's or needed work to get a proper fit. that's why they are still around. much less work,but still work .

Comment

95% of the time they were Black...But then you have the Australian production and that is a different story all in it's own!

Pluck

Comment

Originally posted by tbirdtbird View Post
        I was told by an old timer that they were always black

and how they dipped stuff and did not get runs I will never know.......
        Once the fenders were dipped, they were then taken out and immeditly they went through a drying process through heaters which dried them to the finish they were. Not sure of the heat units used.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Plucker View Post
          95% of the time they were Black...But then you have the Australian production and that is a different story all in it's own!

Pluck
          You do not have permission to view this gallery.
          This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

• H. L. Chauvin
            H. L. Chauvin commented
            Editing a comment
            Hi Mr. Mike V.

Thanks for photo.

Like the brown fenders; and, maybe just a photo print difference, but I'm not about to ask what color were these tires ...... LOL

so was the black extremely shiny or a little flat original ? example I have a Jeep that the paint is called Brilliant Black, its stunning while I have a Toyota that is black , almost satin black. what does most guys do with todays paint types for the black ?

Comment

Just special order commercial got something other then black.

Fenders did not have drips on the main surface because of the way the dip tanks were set up. It was a long pool of heated water with a layer of paint on top. The fenders would go through the paint and into the water. The paint would get a first coat and the linear movement through the water would level out the paint. Then up through the black paint for a second coat. The inside would see drips because it was turbulent while the outside was less likely cause it was convex.

People have tried to do the dipping in a large can, but the lack of linear movement allowed for drips.

At least that was what I was told about the process by people with way more knowledge than me.

Comment

Originally posted by canadian View Post
              so was the black extremely shiny or a little flat original ? example I have a Jeep that the paint is called Brilliant Black, its stunning while I have a Toyota that is black , almost satin black. what does most guys do with todays paint types for the black ?
              Note that is the underside of the fenders on the right. you can see some of the others parts thar were also dipped.

Studio_20180209_084205.png

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin in NJ View Post
                Just special order commercial got something other then black.
                yup - or they got painted by the specialty coach builders (fire trucks, ambulances etc)

Comment

I have 4 NOS fenders on our roadster and the drips were the best part, I was able to preserve them on the NOS drumming boards when we re-painted them and they turned out great!!...
                  Ill., Region MARC & MAFCA
                  MARC JSC Member
                  2022 Morgantown National Co-Chair
                  National Facebook Admin.

Comment

The beauty of the drip!!
                    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                    This gallery has 2 photos.
                    Ill., Region MARC & MAFCA
                    MARC JSC Member
                    2022 Morgantown National Co-Chair
                    National Facebook Admin.

Comment

• Mitch
                      Mitch commented
                      Editing a comment
                      No drips on my car, screw that

oooh. this is also how you can tell original horn covers as well. Inside there is usually a run or two and a big open bare spot where a bubble of air got trapped during the dipping process.

Comment