Picking up where Dad left off

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Picking up where Dad left off

So, I've gotten the sheet metal including the doors, cowl, hood, etc. fitting pretty well. In general, I believe the sheet metal is in pretty good shape. Part of the car has been painted black lacquer and part of it is in spotty primer and filler...this was done probably 20 years ago by my dad. As I pick up the body work again, I was hoping for some help with my plan of attack.

First, should I strip/sand off the lacquer paint on the exterior of the car down to the primer, trying to save the primer?
    Should I leave the inside as-is, with the exception of the rust under the rear seat?
    Next, I figure I'll get the sheet metal as close to perfect as I can on the entire car.
    Treat the minor surface rust on the bare metal areas.
    Primer or re-primer the entire car.
    Add bondo, etc. and sand as needed.
    Then primer/filler and block sand to get ready for paint.

Is that a reasonable plan or are there other steps I should be taking?

IMG_6209.jpgIMG_6213.jpgIMG_6214.jpgIMG_6215.jpg

Since I have not painted a car in over 50 years, I can't really help you there, but I would suggest you see if there is a sound deadening kit or insulation kit and install that in the interior spaces.

You might be better off asking your local automotive paint store for the best advice on painting over what you already have, since they will know best what will or won't adhere to what you already have.

If I was starting this project, and determined to change the color, I would disassemble the entire car and media blast it to bare metal and start from there. The main reason I would do that is because of the unknown factor of the paint and bondo already on the car. There are way better fillers made today than in the past, and you don't need separation of the old fillers.

My 2¢ worth
    You wana look waaay far up da road and plan yer route because the brakes are far more of a suggestion than a command!

Comment

It depends what your striving to achieve as an end result. To properly paint one of these cars it needs to be disassembled and the body removed from the frame.
      3 ~ Tudor's
      Henry Ford said
      "It's all nuts and bolts"

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

Mitch,
        Sorry for the confusion. My dad took it down to the frame, restored the chassis, etc. and started working on the body. He got as far as shown in the pics and I'm trying to pick it up from there. I set the body and installed the fenders, hood, etc. to be sure everything would line up after body work and paint. Now I'd like to get started on the body work.

Brent

Comment

Brent looks like a nice little Model A. Keep us posted.

I am interested in how 'easy' the lacquer comes off we are at that point too. 40 year old paint looks presentable from 10 feet but it is cracking like a boiled egg shell on the fenders. Wish they had been enameled but they weren't

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• Dennis
            What is bonderizing?
            by Dennis
            I started my last major project of painting my car after the first week of this year. I am stripping everything down to bare metal and have started work on my splash aprons. I noticed the metal has shades of dark blue and dark bronze colors. I dug out my paint and finish guide because I thought I had read something about the process the fenders had gone through to be painted. So what is the difference...
            01-20-2020, 05:43 PM
          • tbirdtbird
            More on prep for painting using phosphoric acid such as Ospho with pic
            by tbirdtbird
            Original Thread

I am forever promoting using this prep for freshly blasted metal or otherwise cleaned.
            This is a hood from the M5 I am working on. Like all the other sheet metal, it was water blasted a year ago. The water blasters put in a special chemical to stop it from flash rusting, but that stuff only lasts a day or two.

Few people are prepared to prime...
            02-19-2018, 10:56 PM
          • cpf240
            Seeking Advice: Paint and Rust Issues
            by cpf240
            My father bought this '29 Special Coupe back in '78. It was in typical barn find condition. At that time, a restoration was started, but never finished. From '80 or so onward, it sat in two different garages, one in Santa Monica, and then sat outside under a tarp in Costa Mesa for several years. So, it has had some salt air exposure.

My father didn't do the work himself, but my grandfather...
            You do not have permission to view this gallery.
            This gallery has 6 photos.
            09-14-2018, 09:46 PM
          • JohnB15632
            Painting project for a 31 Fordor TS
            by JohnB15632
            In 2019, I am planning on painting my 31 4D TS. There is a whole lot that I need to accomplish first. I am going to strip the entire body, prime the entire body, and then final paint.
            My question today, when it comes to priming and painting, do I paint with the doors on, or should remove the doors and paint the doors separately?
            At a class I took at a Votech school, the instructor thought...
            This gallery has 1 photos.
            12-08-2018, 04:11 PM
          • wrndln
            Applying polyester high build primer
            by wrndln
            I have a question that maybe some knowledgeable painter can answer. I prime my sandblasted parts with epoxy primer. Then if the part is rust pitted or has some dings, I apply Evercoat polyester high build primer. My question is: Is there a waiting period between applying the epoxy primer and then spraying on the polyester primer? There is a few days period for epoxy primers that a top coat can be...
            08-23-2020, 09:27 AM
          • JohnB15632
            Door stripped to bare metal
            by JohnB15632
            My Winter project is to strip and restore my four doors, the gas tank, and finally the body. Now that I has stripped these parts to bare metal, what do I use to preserve the metal until the time comes when I apply my good primer? One product I was told about is Phosphoric Acid. I do not think that I should use the cans of etching primer.
            Thoughts?
            This gallery has 3 photos.
            01-14-2019, 06:39 PM
          • tbirdtbird
            More on prep for painting using phosphoric acid such as Ospho with pic
            by tbirdtbird
            I am forever promoting using this prep for freshly blasted metal or otherwise cleaned.
            This is a hood from the M5 I am working on. Like all the other sheet metal, it was water blasted a year ago. The water blasters put in a special chemical to stop it from flash rusting, but that stuff only lasts a day or two.

Few people are prepared to prime their sheet metal immediately, esp since...
            02-19-2018, 10:56 PM
          • Hank B
            How do you transport a newly painted car and pieces?
            by Hank B
            This may seem elementary to some, but I am looking for the do's and don'ts of transporting my newly painted car body and pieces home from the paint shop when it is finished.
            Here is what I did, and please feel free to add comments!!

As I loaded my closed trailer with the first parts to take to the paint shop, I thought I would load them as I might bring them home after being painted....
            12-24-2019, 10:06 AM
          • Terry, NJ
            Making the chassis pretty!
            by Terry, NJ
            Yesterday I pulled the coupe body off frame. Lotta RUST! I know I've seen restorations where the frame looks like new metal, not a pit to be seen! How do they do it? Just grind the rust away and then paint it? Fill in the pits with Bondo? What's the secret? This is a chassis, the foundation of the car! I don't want to weaken it.
            Terry
            07-02-2019, 05:10 PM
          • Jim Mason
            flow painting a T
            by Jim Mason
            This is another example of 'japaning', as is the dipped parts. Dated 3/30/15. notice the respirator to prevent inhaling the naphtha and other solvent fumes.

They would flow the paint on, let it drip for 10 minutes or so then wipe the lower edge to prevent a 'fat' edge. I never realised they painted after upholstery.

03-02-2019, 09:59 AM
          Working...
          X