Announcement

Collapse

Body and Paint Forum

General body topics
See more
See less

Gotta buff some stainless? Here is how we do it.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gotta buff some stainless? Here is how we do it.

Depending on how corroded/scratched it is, we will start with 1000 or 1200. If none of these things apply, we will start with 1500, go to 2000, then 2500. You can end with 3000 if you like but you will end up about the same as what the mini-buffer is gonna do. Also, 3000 is quite pricey.

We wet sand of course using a DA (very important). Be generous with the water. Be sure to change your water and rinse the DA thoroughly as you go up in grit.

Dry off with paper towels after each cut to see where you stand scratch-wise. You may have to back up.

SS is hard and you gotta be patient.

Once we hit 2500 we break out the air powered mini-buffer and the 3M compound #1 and have at it. The buffing heads are velcro.

The pix are self explanatory, as far as supplies go.

BTW these are basically how you buff color, anyway.

Dents are another issue to be covered another time. But basically you use a small ball-pein hammer and use gentle taps, not hits. Do this on a shot bag so that you can back the metal up. Start from the perimeter and slowly work your way in, else you will deform it even more.

Practice on a scrap of sheet metal of maybe even a scrap chunk of SS, or a headlite bucket that is beyond repair. If the metal you want to practice on has no dents, put a small one in it with your ball pein hammer, but don't whale on it.

Every metal working tip we offer here should always be practiced first on scrap metal, such as welding thin sheet metal. Never jump right onto the part you want to save.

Eventually after you get the dent out you will have to break out the files you have and select the finest flat file you have, or get a really fine one, and carefully start filing the surface smooth. You will most likely have to start your paper out at 400 and work your way up. This will require a ton of patience.

Good luck!
    mini buffer w pad.jpg

blue point w pad off.jpg
    blue point buffer.jpg
    polishing compound.jpg
    mini buffer w pad.jpg

Last edited by tbirdtbird; 09-25-2019, 11:37 PM.

What can you tell about welding stainless trim?

Comment

It would need to be TIGed , and by someone with a really steady hand. Practice on scrap. Be sure to get a SS electrode, obv.
      The bead would then need to be dressed down.
      Fixture the pieces as best you can since it is gonna want to distort. TIG is the best at minimizing distortion, BTW, but it will still happen

Comment

BTW here is a place in Ft Worth that does SS trim repair. There are other specialty shops also.
        It is not something I myself would attempt

http://www.autorestorationinfortworthtx.com/

Comment

thank you.I'm guessing that a butt weld is best?

Comment

yes

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• pooch
              Ballarat swap meet 2019
              by pooch
              Not sure what the back of this ute is.

Not a Geelong ute.

Probably a one off farmer's build.

Canadian deluxe folding stanchions for a 28/29.

A feral 34 or 33 (I don't know the difference) chopped ute.

Dunno what body style it started life as, but it looked a treat driving in.

The driver...
              03-02-2019, 02:15 AM
            • pooch
              Don't toss those tapered kitchen table legs.
              by pooch

Always hard to find metal bows, and I would never chop a restorable set.

This is what you can do with kitchen table legs.

I first flattened them to an oval, then sectioned a piece out where the bend is.

Then squared it a touch on the inside of the bend so it would fit in my stretcher machine, and pumped the curve into it.

The end pieces...
              06-15-2018, 11:21 PM
            • MontanaRed
              Took the Carb off today!
              by MontanaRed
              Need some opinions, Took my carb off today and this is what I found under the bowl, bowl doesn't have any holes in it and all the valves seem in good working order but that rust corrosion is pretty bad, also there is a small hole at 11oclock on the first picture it appears to be a machined hole, is it suppose to be there? Float has some dents in it also. Soaking it in evapo-rust overnight now. So...
              10-12-2018, 05:25 PM
            • pAAt
              Shrinking body panels
              by pAAt
              Ground 3/8" bondo off a 28 cab corner and tried pounding the dents out. I have it fairly straight except an overly stretched out area. Can I shrink this dent out with heat, shrinking disk, or grind a X in it, straighten, and weld ? Picture 3 shows a thin layer of something between the door post wood and corner panel, looks like a thin layer of fiberglas insulation ? Thanks Pat

09-10-2018, 09:46 PM
            • Mitch
              How to install metal tire tube stems
              by Mitch
              Courtesy John Carter!

Usually the hobbyist purchases new tubes with the metal stems already installed. If you want to convert your old tubes over or just install the metal stems yourself this may help you out.

10-17-2018, 08:34 AM
            • pooch
              Farmer fixes on unrestored.
              by pooch
              With the advent of not restoring and leaving old repairs in as found condition, some of these are quite unique..

Maybe he shoulda put the screw slots inline.........

01-07-2019, 03:29 PM
            • don3527
              1930 AA Hearse For Sale
              by don3527
              I have decided to part with our 1930 hearse. Appears to be all original and never been torn apart. Some of the hub caps are missing but otherwise is a very complete. Runs and drives fine but the ring gear does have some bad teeth on it. This is the unrestored hearse that was featured in the July-August 2018 issue of the Model A News. I was going to restore the car but have decided I have too many...
              01-03-2019, 08:10 AM
            • pAAt
              Transmission tower assembly
              by pAAt
              Pulled tower apart and have a few questions. Can the fork slide notch be welded up and what best way to tell if your forks are straight ? Made a quick, Tom's design, spring remover and it works very well.

Thanks, Pat

04-11-2019, 05:06 PM
            • tbirdtbird
              A few Yellowstone and Glacier Natl Park photos
              by tbirdtbird
              60 Dallas club people and 15 Model As just got back from the parks after a 10 day tour.
              The buses are 1937 Whites. The yellow ones are in Yellowstone, the red ones in Glacier. There were over 100 yellow ones in the beginning. After decades, they were falling into disrepair. Ford re-framed and re-powered them, and left the coaches alone for that vintage look. They bear both the White emblem and...
              08-16-2017, 05:45 PM
            • DaWizard
              Brain Twister
              by DaWizard

Well CRAP, didn't post all my eloquent words!!

Ok, try this again!

Ok boys and girls, I finished removing the starter and stuck my flexible magnet down the hole to see what would jump out at me, and this is what I found.

In all my years of experience, a search of my internal hard drive has come up empty, so I am putting the question out to the
              07-29-2017, 12:33 PM
            Working...
            X