Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• not sure my 1933 rebuilt fuel pump is working

What is the simplest way to check it

Pump the arm up and down to see if you hear a sucking sound.

Next easiest, stick a hose on the inlet, place in fuel, pump arm.

Some guys used to use a externally braided clear hose to watch, but IF that hose is still available, I wouldn't trust the life span with this crap gas we are forced to use.

Whatever you choose to use, make sure you always add MMO with each fillup!!!

I can not impress the addition of MMO with each fillup. I am seeing my nicely rebuilt carburetors get seriously dried up and stuff flaking around in the bowl if MMO isn't used and the car sits for any length of time. Breaks my heart cause I pride myself on my quality of work.
    VFF Recruiter

"We do not stop playing because we grow old;
    We grow old because we stop playing ...
    NEVER Be The First To Get Old!" Pilfered from the MAFC SA Newsletter

I JUST CAN'T FIX STUPID!!

"Why so Serious?"

Comment

thanks.....I also love MMO.....Stuff developed back then was basic good stuff....
      I tried to feel the sucking with my finger over the intake with the engine turning by started and could not feel any sucking.

Comment

Put a pressure gauge on it. Most vacuum gauges do low fuel pressure too.
        2 1930 Tudors

Henry Ford said
        "It's all nuts and bolts"

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

Maybe my kluge tank setup is creating the problem. I attached a rubber fuel hose to the end of the metal fuel hose perhaps this increase in diameter caused the pump not to work?

Comment

I assume the pump is in the car and not on your workbench. Start by determining where the problem begins. You have probably done all of this but... Remove the fuel line from the carb, place it in a small container, crank the engine. Any fuel come out? If not, remove the gas cap then remove the fuel supply line from the pump, attach a length of snug fitting hose to it and blow back towards the tank. You, or a helper should hear fuel bubbling in the tank. This should identify where the issue is rooted. Please keep us posted, Chap

Comment

• DaWizard
              DaWizard commented
              Editing a comment
              Good thought Chap, but I would take this one step back. Pull the pump off the stand and cranking the engine over, be sure the rod moves up and down, and the pump arm fits properly.

Great points gentlemen......It turned out to be a silly problem. There is a sludge drain on the pump and it was not screwed all the way in so the pumping pressure was comprised. I feel like a fool, and maybe I am. First time working with this stuff, and more complicated because engine is on a test stand, so there are lots of variables. It seems to be working. It was real music to hear that engine run, this is the first engine I ever rebuilt. The last time this block had run was 60 years ago. Pieced together aluminum heads and other 1933 original components.

Comment

• Mitch
              Mitch commented
              Editing a comment
              Great job Claude, I have been enjoying your story as well and posts that will help others out

Well Claude, I think you are doing a great job, I just wish there were pictures and videos to go with this story!
            VFF Recruiter

"Why so Serious?"

Comment

Awesome!

Comment

Got the pump working and drawing fuel from the gas can. The engine runs very smooth, almost sounds like a new car?
                But before I begin jump up and down, I noticed Greenish antifreeze drop forming from what is a hairline crack in one of the second hand aluminum heads. Well, when you buy second hand aluminum heads you never know what you are getting.
                Still, the engine sounds so great, I am not really disappointed, but will have to repair or replace the heads. I will try repairing first.
                If that does not work, I will most likely buy cast iron heads, because I have been told that the aluminum heads on these engines has often been a trouble spot and many of the original aluminum heads were replaced with iron heads several years after the engines were new. Don't know if that is a a true story or not. I can purchase NEW aluminum heads made in Australia for 1200$.! Old cast iron heads are 200$ If I but the cast iron heads, I will paint them with aluminum paint to retain the same appearance.. I hate those old engines with green heads.
                Well, such is life...

Comment

Thanks for the update Claude, and sorry to hear about the leak. Please don't run that engine anymore until you get that leak fixed. You don't know if that is getting into a cylinder and could break a piston or con rod. Get that off the engine, it could wind up costing you a engine!
                  VFF Recruiter

"Why so Serious?"

Comment

Thanks for the info

Comment

Claude at least that is $1200 AUD.

They are very nicely made.

Comment

Originally posted by pooch View Post
                        Claude at least that is $1200 AUD.

They are very nicely made.
                        From the photos they sent me over a year ago they were beautifully made, and for flat head pistons like mine. Do you know the email address..I had it a year ago but no longer.
                        Last edited by ClaudeC; 07-14-2018, 10:18 AM.

Comment

jimk34@bigpond.com

I will be seeing him on jul 28 at the ford swap meet.

Comment

Working...
                          X