Clear All

Here is a tech thread on starting a car from long term storage

https://www.vintagefordforum.com/for...g-term-storage
    2 1930 Tudors

Henry Ford said
    "It's all nuts and bolts"

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

Hahaaa I knew you guys would tell me to keep it. It’s an amazing car and once I get it running....I just might keep it.
      Thanks to all you guys for the advice and info! I’ll keep you posted

Comment

Almost everyone likes the way these cars look, but driving is different from a modern car. They are somewhat clumsy and often steer more like a boat than the modern car. The ride is more like WW2 jeep because of the suspension, I believe these cars were designed for dirt roads which dominated the driving in the 1930's. It is an exciting experience but not for people pampered by modern cars. Get a new battery, change your oil and lube up the cylinders with Marvel Mystery Oil, and try to start her up. Try her out and see if you like the ride. The ride of these old cars can be tightened up a bit by rebuilding steering and maybe replacing the shocks. But still they were designed for rough roads and handle as such. I personally like the feel, kind of un restrained. When I began looking for a 1933, I found one complete modernized, it looked like the old car but had new and improved everything inside.
        The guy told me that this car can be driven like a modern car, I didn't quite understand him until I began drive my original 1933... People were a lot tougher back then today we are all too pampered. Went for a good ride today. Each time I drive the car it seems to ride better, or am I just getting used to it. Fun ride, kind of reminds me of the 1966 Volkswagen bus, I learned to drive on, engine noise, stiff shocks, not at all like the 1970 Cadillac I drove so long ago.
        Last edited by ClaudeC; 05-24-2018, 08:42 PM.

Comment

Beautiful car!

After driving a ‘31 Model A S/W Fordor for 2 years, my ‘34 feels like a modern car...lol. Of course I have replaced or restored everything on it, so maybe that is why, definitely does not steer like a boat, it is quite responsive. Tight and no play at all after rebuilding the stock steering box and installing a new worm gear that was needed due to bearing race wear. Almost done with the interior....a week or 2 and hopefully done...

If the OP needs any help with anything, dont hesitate to ask, always willing to assist...

My restoration pics here at this link may help as well.... https://flic.kr/s/aHskZv6pRb

Comment

• DaWizard
            DaWizard commented
            Editing a comment
            Very nice restoration Rich. They do drive like a dream.

• Mitch
            Mitch commented
            Editing a comment
            Beautiful car and nice pics. Thanks for sharing them

Wow you have a very beautiful car.
          My car has nothing restored on it to due with steering and suspension, that is probably why it is a little loosey goosey. You started me thinking about restoring some of those areas. The shock absorbers seem to work to keep the vehicle from bouncing. actually the more I drive the car the better it rides, maybe all the 85 years old parts just need to be loosened up a bit.
          Last edited by ClaudeC; 05-26-2018, 04:59 PM.

Comment

You found a 1934 Ford four door? Why you should be Jumping higher than the barn you found it in, Why you should be taking Everyone out to dinner tonight, Why you should be inviting everyone for a ride, Why, ok, enough Whys. I was a senior in high school in 1962, and even then, to find a 1934 Ford four door in 1962 would be quite momentous ! Yeah, i am jealous, so just deliver it to my house, for me to have and drool all over...by the way congratulations. you might have crabgrass though?
            Last edited by sunnyorm; 05-27-2018, 01:50 PM.

Comment

Wow Recon......that is a beautiful car!
              I studied your pictures on flic.kr and that’s awesome since you did all that in your garage.

Comment

Originally posted by Reconnoiter View Post
                Beautiful car!

After driving a ‘31 Model A S/W Fordor for 2 years, my ‘34 feels like a modern car...lol. Of course I have replaced or restored everything on it, so maybe that is why, definitely does not steer like a boat, it is quite responsive. Tight and no play at all after rebuilding the stock steering box and installing a new worm gear that was needed due to bearing race wear. Almost done with the interior....a week or 2 and hopefully done...

If the OP needs any help with anything, dont hesitate to ask, always willing to assist...

My restoration pics here at this link may help as well.... https://flic.kr/s/aHskZv6pRb
                WOW!!!!! Totally redone...1934 showroom condition car....Beautiful work...Nothing like my non restored car with worn original paint and interior. Sitting in my car is a lot like sitting in an old depression era movie theater with mohair interior. I should try to upgrade the ride with restored bearings, steering? What do you recommend as the first thing to replace to provide a more stable/modern ride?
                Last edited by ClaudeC; 05-28-2018, 01:52 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the kind comments! Yeah, that 2 car garage in suburbia has supported both a ‘31 fordor and this ‘34 restoration, the ‘31 took me 14 months, this ‘34 will be right at 11 months (luckily the paint was done when I purchased it thus saving me a lot of work) it has had only this one repaint of the original vineyard green, tacoma cream striping, and wheels, it was all done well though. Still had the original interior and even the original top, however all was in rough shape and had to be replaced, re-did all the burlwood using hydrographics and have been slowly installing a Lebaron Bonney kit.

As for steering improvement, there are so many “links in that chain” but I started with installing a tie rod and drag link rebuild kit (the brass inpregnated teflon type), then rebuilt the steering box, replacing the worm gear (lower race was galled), and the lower bearing, the sector was in perfect shape as well as the upper bearing so reused them. The worm was a bit of a pain to change out but managed with my cheapy 12 ton press. Installed a new brass bushed steering shaft rubber insert in the column as well. Had all the original shocks rebuilt and re-bushed and reamed the spindles for the king pins (original pins were perfect still, only bushings showed wear) for a perfect fit and properly adjusted the steering box and set the toe in to spec. Wheel bearings were inspected and adjusted correctly. All this made a world of difference, and I can only imagine it is now just as good as it was when new. Also installed a brand new Eaton stock spec front spring and new shackle studs all around, as the original was well worn and the eyelets were almost resting on the axle.

I have done so much more as well, even had to do some rear end work (replaced a carrier bearing and axle seals) learned a lot since it was the first time for me tearing one down.

There is just nothing like opening the garage and seeing that beautiful grill smiling at me. To me the 33 - 34 Fords are such works of art, the body lines and styling of all the models for those years are just timeless, no wonder most everyone wanted one....

Originally posted by ClaudeC View Post

WOW!!!!! Totally redone...1934 showroom condition car....Beautiful work...Nothing like my non restored car with worn original paint and interior. Sitting in my car is a lot like sitting in an old depression era movie theater with mohair interior. I should try to upgrade the ride with restored bearings, steering? What do you recommend as the first thing to replace to provide a more stable/modern ride?
                  Last edited by Reconnoiter; 05-28-2018, 11:29 PM.

Comment

Found a great mechanic through the grapevine. He’s pulled the carb and the fuel pump and he’s ordered rebuilds for both. I noticed that the carb is a Holley....
                    that cant be original.
                    Figuerd id get help from a mechanic cause I am slammed with work and I don’t want this to take forever.
                    I’ll keep you updated on any more progress

Comment

Maybe you should buy an original stromberg 48 rebuilt from charlieNY, instead of putting money into the Holley, which is not original. He has several ready to go on his shelf. I just bought one for my spare 1934 v8 intake setup, for 200$ These are real 1934 vintage Strombergs not later versions. Charlie also has the true 1934 fuel pump fully restored and tested. The 1934 fuel pumps are smaller than the later versions.
                      Last edited by ClaudeC; 06-15-2018, 09:18 AM.

Comment

That’s a good idea Claude.
                        Unfortunately we’ve already got this Holley rebuilt so the plan as of now is to just get it running but to go back original with everything possible at some point.
                        Even with the rad and fuel tank....
                        There’s a place here in town that will clean,pressure test,and repair old tanks and radiators so we get to keep the originals in use
                        Thanks for the tip Claude
                        Is CharlieNY in New York?
                        Or did he move to Florida like everyone else did/is?

Comment

I think he is still in New York State. I will get you the address.

Comment

When ever I have an old engine that has not been run for years, besides doing the good advice mentioned, I force feed oil into the oil gallery.

This oils the cam/crank/bigends before you try to turn it.

Comment

Ok gentlemen. Slow progress is better than no progress. Radiator and fuel tank have been pulled and carried to a radiator shop in town that I’ve dealt with several times before. They work on any tank and are very good. They will flush, pressure test the repair both for $150. Beats having to search creation for a new rad or fuel tank if one of them was no good.
                              Thanks again for all the help

Comment

Got the fuel tank back in and have the rad ready but waiting on some other parts and seals for engine before we put the rad back in. Lights on the dash come on but not getting power to the engine so further exploratory surgery is required.
                                stay tuned gentlemen

Comment

• Mitch
                                  Mitch commented
                                  Editing a comment
                                  When you get it done we'll go rob some banks. Niceee

Comment

You really have a great piece of History there
                                  Jim

Comment

• DaWizard
                                    DaWizard commented
                                    Editing a comment
                                    Hey Kahuna, WELCOME to the VFF!!

• Mitch
                                    Mitch commented
                                    Editing a comment
                                    Welcome JIm!!

• JDupuis
                                    JDupuis commented
                                    Editing a comment
                                    Welcome to the VFF!

Gentlemen... saw the car turn over with the starter this past weekend...no fire to the plugs but we’re working on that.
                                  my newest question is fairly specific and may not be known but it’s worth asking.
                                  was told by the mechanic working on the car that the Holley carb that’s on it was an accurate replacement by Ford for the stromberg...he was told that the Holley replaced the stromberg due to reliability.
                                  has anyone heard this?
                                  should I leave the Holley on it if this is true? I’m leaning on you guys for advice
                                  and thank you in advance

Comment

I think the Stromberg was and still is the carb that all the hot roders want.
                                    https://www.stromberg-97.com/
                                    I always thought the Holley was a cheap imitation of a Stromberg, but I could be wrong. But at this stage of the game, get it running and replacing the carb yourself is a pretty simply matter. Just call Carlie in NY and he has some ready to go 1934 stromberg carbs that run great. I am using one of his on my original 1933 v8 engine, because I had some problems with the DL carb that goes with the 1933 ford. So I replaced the intake and everything that goes with it for a 1934 setup. I still have the 1933 intake and everything that goes with that. I will install that after I get my DL carb rebuilt, and my engine worked running in tip top shape.
                                    Note the Stromberg 97 is almost the same as the Stromberg 48 or Stromberg 40.
                                    I would get a Stromberg 40 or 48 because they are original to the 1934 ford. Actuall Stromberg 40 is the original one , so says Charlie.
                                    Last edited by ClaudeC; 10-16-2018, 08:51 PM.

Comment