X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ford V-8 Prototype

The Development of the Ford Flathead V-8 – Photos From The Henry Ford

August 3, 2013

Henry Ford’s famous Flathead V-8 had a long gestation period that was filled with much experimentation. A prototype as seen here was one of the final versions after the basic layout had been chosen to debut in the 1932 Ford. If one spends the time really look close and study the photo, it has the appearance of being a model. Do any of our readers know if one was actually built and run? This experimental unit is quite close to the final end result, but with some interesting differences that we will explain.

Two exhausts post are located at the top ends of each bank and the front manifold met the single lower exhaust port, which serviced the center two cylinders as in the production version. It carried a rear-mounted starter atop of the transmission instead of a more conventional forward lower location. This starter location may have been dictated by the ends of the exhaust manifolds being in the way of access to the front of the flywheel ring-gear.

One further and quite interesting difference is the lower water manifold being located under the exhaust manifold, instead of at the front of the engine as in the production version. It also appears to have an experimental diaphragm-operated vacuum clutch assembly mounted to this water manifold.

And finally we see a much earlier experimental X-8 that Ford built in the waning days of the Model “T” Ford. The water-cooled version was designed by Eugene Farkas and tested along with an air-cooled version. You can read about and see more photos of the X- 8 engined Ford car in a book, “Friends, Families and Forays” written by Ford Richardson Bryan. You can also see and learn more in an article called Experimental Ford Engines at Hemmings Daily. Photos courtesy of The Henry Ford Museum. Many other interesting photos from The Henry Ford can also be seen here on The Old Motor.
    4~ Tudor's
    1~ Coupe

Henry Ford said,
    "It's all nuts and bolts"

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Related Topics

Collapse

• Steve Plucker
    "I was told once that..." stories...
    by Steve Plucker
    How many of you at one time or the other over the years heard something about the Model A/AA Ford that you had a hard time beleiving if it were true or not.

Here is my story...I was told once that before the Ford Runtunda fire of what year I forget, that there were many Ford archives and Ford data that were lost due to the fire.

One of the items that was lost were all the...
    08-29-2018, 10:53 PM
  • Jeff/Illinois
    American Icon: How Alan Mullaly Saved the Ford Motor Company
    by Jeff/Illinois
    This is a good book for all you Ford fans if you are looking to pass some winter weather time indoors. Some neat points they make in the book, in relation to Model A Fords, was the story of 'how' the Model A came about (we've all heard it still interesting) but also later Alan Mullaly makes reference to how they pulled Ford out of the brink of disaster after he took over in Sept. 2006, akin to what...
    01-30-2018, 04:52 PM
  • mkm5
    Early photograph of Ford Prototype with Henry Ford & my grandfather!
    by mkm5
    Good morning!

I have an old picture my grandfather passed down that was said to have been of he and Henry Ford, along with others, around an early prototype which appears to be a clay and steel or wood model.

My mother said it was from 1909, but it looks more like late teens or early 20s to me. My grandfather is the tall fellow looking through the center window from behind...
    01-08-2018, 10:52 AM
  • EarlyBert
    Water or excessive moisture in exhaust port
    by EarlyBert
    I have recently purchased my first Model A. I am replacing the manifold gaskets. I noticed excessive moisture in the 3rd exhaust port from the front. What could be the significance of this?...
    11-06-2017, 06:52 PM
  • Denis4x4
    Official Ford Model A film
    by Denis4x4
    Watched a two hour DVD that combined several Ford films on the introduction of the Model A and how it was built. However, the real interesting segment was on the dealership, service and financing. We all know that Ford controlled everything from raw materials to the final product. What was news to me was the financing and insurance that Ford provided to buyers through the dealership. While today's...
    10-14-2017, 04:59 PM
  • Mark Maron
    1904 Model A Ford restoration...
    by Mark Maron
    Well here is where it all began., I have the pleasure of assisting on a restoration of a 1904 Model A Ford and thought I would post some pics. its an amazing car when broken down and basically a chain driven car with a wooden carriage on top.. The History is fascinating of it.. enjoy....
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 21 photos.
    03-14-2018, 02:28 PM
  • 2manycars
    55 Ford
    by 2manycars
    I posted a photo and a link to a song on the late V8 forum.
    05-22-2018, 06:26 AM
  • jordanka16
    Exhaust
    by jordanka16
    Well, went for a nice drive yesterday, but my passenger complained of the heat on her feet. I already have a thick mat and a reflective insulating pad, but she said it was warm still. I have read that a lot of people have good luck with the aries muffler, for many reasons, but they do reduce the heat on the floor. The existing muffler is just some glass pack thing he had lying around anyway. I've...
    08-14-2018, 02:24 PM
  • jcorvino
    1950 ford custom flathead v8
    by jcorvino
    good day - have dual carbs now but only running on one (still pretty strong and driveable). would like to change manifold/carbs to perhaps simple double barrel or two barrel. anysuggestions. not a custom motor basically stock 1950 flatheadv8...
    09-13-2017, 02:58 PM
Working...
X