Old Wiring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old Wiring

One of our club members just acquired a rather sharp '49 Ford and has run into a problem replacing the dash lights. When he touches a wire the cloth coating evaporates and he is left with a bare wire.

Any of you out there in interweb space have anything he can possibly coat the wire with that will keep the cloth in tact while he changes the bulbs.

I was thinking maybe some spray urethane or the such, but I am just guessing as I have just replaced wiring.
    You wana look waaay far up da road and plan yer route because the brakes are far more of a suggestion than a command!

I would hire Dave to make a new harness.

https://www.vintagefordforum.com/for...wiring-harness
    4~ Tudor's
    1~ Coupe

Henry Ford said,
    "It's all nuts and bolts"

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

There is this, but I would replace the wiring.. It could be crumbling in places and shorting out in areas you don't notice or just can't get to. If your insulation is crumbling then it is a sign that it is all going..don't waste your time messing around..in the long run it will never be reliable and right until you replace with new wire.
      You do not have permission to view this gallery.
      This gallery has 1 photos.
      Last edited by ClaudeC; 02-07-2018, 08:14 AM.

Comment

I discourage any halfway solution, as the problem will return to haunt you, and you will always be chasing the problem.
        Pulling the dash out of the car is not as difficult as you would think. There is a harness that covers the in dash elements. I suggest you start there and avoid any fire risk. It can be done in a day, and will make your ride so much more enjoyable with a renewed confidence.
        If you have questions along the way we're here to help.
        Two tips to start with. While there, be sure to clean the back side of the speedometer glass, and, don't scratch the inside of the windshield.

Comment

I ordered wiring for the engine I am rebuilding from
          http://www.riwire.com/
          They say they make the harnesses and cables exactly like the originals.

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• KB9JLO
            Opinions on wiring...
            by KB9JLO
            I posted on the regular Model A thread about my "new" car and I wanted some opinions on wiring. First, wiring doesn't scare me. I'm into computers, ham radio, electronics in a big way. I understand electricity and electronics quite well. That is not an issue.
            Money will always be an issue. Not money will spent but money spent where I don't need to spend it.
            This car is going...
            09-19-2018, 08:58 PM
          • popsjohn
            Wiring Harness connection with directional signals
            by popsjohn
            My lights and directional signals work but the wiring is old and looks like potential future problems. I purchased a wiring harness from a fellow club member and started investigating how to install it and keep everything working. I looked at the wiring diagrams posted elsewhere on the site. I did not find any information about integrating the directional signal wiring with the wiring harness....
            07-08-2020, 06:14 PM
          • biggieou
            Wiring harness question
            by biggieou
            I am planning on rewiring my car and have a question regarding which wiring harness to use. I currently have the hidden turn signal kit with the switch mounted on the shifter, utilizing the cowl lamps as the turn signals and would like to keep it this way. Which wiring harness should I get to keep this set up this way? I purchased the one bulb with cowl light, but I'm questioning if this is correct....
            03-21-2019, 05:20 PM
          • wrndln
            Dash wiring harness question
            by wrndln
            I am about ready to install the dash harness assembly. One end of harness has the wires with straight clips on the end. The other harness end have a different style clips on the wire end - see pictures. I would think the straight clip end would be installed on the switch and ammeter. It that correct? Thanks for any help.

11-22-2019, 11:46 PM
          • Lefin102
            32 ford coupe new wiring installation help
            by Lefin102
            Hi Everyone, New here and trying to help a neighbor restore his 32 coupe. Can anyone direct me to how and where the wiring harness go? Any pictures would be great. thx Frank
            07-21-2018, 03:55 PM
          • Midwest Tin
            NOS A Main Wiring Harness
            by Midwest Tin
            I have an nos main wiring harness that I would like to revive the original wire colors. Has anyone found a method or know of anyone that has renewed nos harness? Any thoughts on this? Jim
            12-31-2017, 06:02 AM
          • copgib
            Wiring Mess
            by copgib
            Well while working on my Model A today I noticed the wiring around the engine area looked like it had alot of splicing in it. I guess my mechanic didn't want to take the time to disconnect the wires to the lights and horn, so he just cut them to pull the radiator when he replaced the engine. The more I find the more I wished I had bought a running Model A instead of a barn find. But it will be a driver...
            You do not have permission to view this gallery.
            This gallery has 2 photos.
            06-28-2018, 03:39 PM
          • popsjohn
            Light Wiring Harness
            by popsjohn
            I am preparing to replace the light wiring harness in my car that has turn signals installed. It is stock 6 volt positive ground with at cutout switch on the positive side of the battery. Since everything works I have been tracing the existing wires so I can duplicate the current setup with the new wires. Since getting the car I have removed some extraneous wires that didn't seem to have a purpose...
            08-01-2020, 06:56 AM
          • Captndan
            wiring
            by Captndan
            Is there a diagram of the wiring harness forward of the firewall? What wires go where?
            11-21-2019, 03:12 PM
          • dmdeaton
            Wiring Harness
            by dmdeaton
            Are the new wiring harness's from the major suppliers ok?
            And has anyone tried the modern style fuse blocks?...
            01-31-2018, 10:54 PM
          Working...
          X