21 stud aluminum head tightening order

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 21 stud aluminum head tightening order

I will soon be installing aluminum heads on my early 1933 v8 engine.
    I am sure there is a proper tightening sequence to assure the heads are on properly. Any information will be a great help, perhaps a diagram would be great. Thanks

Check this out Claude

http://www.vanpeltsales.com/FH_web/f...rque-specs.htm

3 ~ Tudor's
    Henry Ford said
    "It's all nuts and bolts"

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

Great Info....Thanks Mitch

Comment

"Rule of Thumb": Start in the center & work out in a circle, to each end, EASY!

Comment

The van Pelts head information says that I should use thread sealer before torqueing nuts down. Does everyone do this? To prevent leaks or to keep nuts from loosening?

Comment

• Mitch
            Mitch commented
            Editing a comment
            I would think its to prevent coolant from migrating up the threads

• BNCHIEF
            BNCHIEF commented
            Editing a comment
            Exactly and do it.

Related Topics

Collapse

• Bullshark
          1935 Ford flathead V8 aluminum heads
          by Bullshark
          I have to repair as small crack in one of my aluminum heads on the 35 ford coupe. Can someone tell me if those heads were originally painted along with the rest of the engine?
          10-30-2018, 06:16 PM
        • ClaudeC
          Aluminum head saver
          by ClaudeC
          Hi guys, it has been a while that I have been on this board.
          Can't remember what I supposed to install to save the aluminum head from decomposing.
          I think I asked this question before, but have forgotten just what I did. Is there something you can add to the antifreeze to do this?
          03-23-2019, 07:09 PM
        • ClaudeC
          Reply to increase HP
          by ClaudeC
          Is it dangerous to over stress an engine by using a high compression head? Especially on an original factory engine? How much extra horsepower could be obtained if any on an original engine?
          02-08-2020, 03:28 PM
        • ClaudeC
          early 1933 v8 engine
          by ClaudeC
          Here are some photos of the early 1933 v8 engine I am assembling and getting ready to mount on it's test stand.
          You do not have permission to view this gallery.
          This gallery has 2 photos.
          04-20-2018, 12:44 PM
        • tubadon40
          Cylinder head marking
          by tubadon40
          I would like to know the purpose or reason some of the pre-59-AB 24 stud heads have an "A" cast in them. Were they only certain year? Or signify lower compression (trucks)? Can't seem any reference to them on other flattie sites.
          Don...
          09-15-2020, 08:10 PM
        • vonheine
          Crows Foot for cylinder head torquing
          by vonheine
          There are crows foot tools on the market to reach the stud next to the distributor on the Ford Model A so that you don’t have to pull out the distributor in order to re-torque the cylinder head. Who makes the best one? Are they peanut butter soft steel that rolls over the first time you use it? Is there a high grade Proto, or Snap/On version that is perfect for the job? What are Model A enthusiasts...
          06-28-2019, 06:31 AM
        • Tod Buttermore
          The new B heads.
          by Tod Buttermore
          Here are the pictures of the first B head samples. One of the deck side and one of the top of the other. These are right out of the sand before clean up, heat treat, and shot blast.

These two heads are aluminum and are not spoken for yet. If someone is interested, let me know. I have 4 or 5 iron ones to make asap.

Tod...
          05-07-2019, 06:43 PM
        • pAAt
          Head identification
          by pAAt
          I have a May 1928 engine, 5 bearing cam, block. I would like to find the correct head for this block. Is there a way to tell the differences in unmarked heads or did the earlier heads have the Ford script cast on them ? There is a 26 stamped on the lower head by the #1 plug and that's all the markings on these heads. Thanks, Pat
          06-13-2017, 11:12 AM
        • pAAt
          Flathed V8 distributors
          by pAAt
          I have 2 flathead engines, I will be addressing soon, with 24 stud heads and front mount distributors. One has the dome type 37-41 and the other has the crab style 42-45. Question is, are these interchangeable and is the crab type a better choice ? The crab seems like it would be easier to work on. Thanks, Pat
          08-31-2018, 09:00 AM
        • Terry, NJ
          Cylinder head thickness
          by Terry, NJ
          Has anyone ever heard of a standard head thickness? If so, what is it? Here's the deal, I'm doing an engine and I have a couple of heads around, but I'm pretty sure they've been shaved. I'm looking for a standard thickness dimension so I can tell just how much. I have a Police head (B) that doesn't appear to have been cut and I have an old head that I don't think has ever been touched, but it means...
          01-02-2019, 12:23 PM
        Working...
        X