1933 v8 Crankshaft/Rod Bearing "Oversized"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1933 v8 Crankshaft/Rod Bearing "Oversized"

I noticed when looking to purchase replacement bearing that they list standard size plus additional oversized sized. Why are there oversized sizes, Is this to do with the original block size variations?

If the crank journals have been ground / resurfaced an oversize bearing is needed. You will need to take measurements to determine what is needed.
    3 ~ Tudor's
    Henry Ford said
    "It's all nuts and bolts"

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

Great to know. So the outside of the bearings are all the same diameter, it is the inside "The surface that wears" that changes with oversized bearings. So, I guess you would measure, with a caliper, the diameter of the crank shaft rod where the rods are attached to see the bearing size needed.
      Last edited by ClaudeC; 12-30-2017, 09:59 AM.

Comment

Correct it's the inside diameter that is over sized to compensate for any machining
        3 ~ Tudor's
        Henry Ford said
        "It's all nuts and bolts"

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• Kevin in NJ
          New Waterpump Roller Bearing Issues...
          by Kevin in NJ
          I was measuring the rollers of the bearings for least wear. It appears the rollers for the waterpump front bearing should be .25" in diameter.

Some original spiral type bearings had about .002" wear.
          A couple of the solid type bearings were about .001"+ wear.
          A couple were right on .250".
          The older stock new bearins were right on.250"
          10-24-2017, 10:09 PM
        • Jim Mason
          the only nice bearing used in the model a (I think)
          by Jim Mason
          Where was it used and when?

10-04-2017, 05:21 PM
        • Great Lakes Greg
          Early V8 throw out bearing question
          by Great Lakes Greg
          To use a V8 flywheel and pressure plate, do I need to use the Model A throw out bearing (seen through the bell housing access hole), or the shorter part pictured on the bench?

Pic 1

Pic 2

05-23-2020, 10:07 AM
        • 1930 Closed Cab PU
          Generator Armature issues
          by 1930 Closed Cab PU
          Wrote the below and just went out to the garage to look again - I was confused on the below - so never mind for now, need to get the bearing off to see what I have - something to do tomorrow.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bought a used armature to repair a bearing/bushing generator with a bad shaft under the bearing....
          You do not have permission to view this gallery.
          This gallery has 2 photos.
          05-22-2019, 07:01 PM
        • CM2
          Adjusting Babbit Crankshaft Main and Rod Bearings
          by CM2
          Note the info corrections to this article starting on post # 30

The following topic covers adjusting the Crankshaft Main Bearing and Connecting Rod Bearing for babbit bearings. This should be a part of your routine maintenance on your babbit engine,performed once every ten thousand miles to insure full bearing life.The following will demonstrate the measurement method using both plastigage...
          01-15-2018, 05:31 PM
        • Old Ford
          Release bearing vibration
          by Old Ford
          Some help. What is the specification for the height of the fingers of the pressure on a F100 1973. How do I adjust them. The pressure is the larger one. Have already taken it for engineering but the height still ain't correct. It seems like the release bearing is vibrating....
          01-04-2019, 08:05 AM
        • dmdeaton
          Rebuilding Throwout Bearing
          by dmdeaton
          Anything special about replacing bearing on throwout assembly? Press on, press off?
          05-20-2018, 07:40 PM
        • ClaudeC
          how to determine acceptable bearing thickness
          by ClaudeC
          1933 v8, inspecting replaceable crankshaft rod bearings, how mucg wear allowed, when do you replace?
          12-29-2017, 12:21 PM
        • plyfor
          Front Inner Wheel Bearing
          by plyfor
          Does anyone know where to buy Bower A1201 replacement inner bearings? The Timken replacement 15118 throat is a little too small to fit my original spindles. The Bower calipers .001 or so more i.d. and slips on. We used to heat ball bearings on a 100watt light bulb but have never tried it with rollers.
          08-18-2020, 12:03 PM
        • Greynomad
          B engine crankshaft and insert bearings
          by Greynomad
          I am reaching out to members in the US because it is a very different market over there with stuff available that would be very difficult or impossible to find here. First, some background:
          One of my cars has a B engine fitted which runs beautifully. It is my favourite and I think the counterweighted crankshaft is a large part of that. The bearings have inserts. I do not see inserts listed for...
          05-30-2020, 09:53 PM
        Working...
        X