how to determine acceptable bearing thickness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how to determine acceptable bearing thickness

1933 v8, inspecting replaceable crankshaft rod bearings, how mucg wear allowed, when do you replace?

Hey ClaudeC, WELCOME to the VFF!!!

I don't have an answer handy, but I'm sure someone will have the specs for you.
    You wana look waaay far up da road and plan yer route because the brakes are far more of a suggestion than a command!

Comment

Claude Welcome
      Does this help you any?

http://www.fordgarage.com/pages/AERbearinginserts.htm
      3 ~ Tudor's
      Henry Ford said
      "It's all nuts and bolts"

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

Thanks, I will go over it carefully.

Comment

Mitch

Administrator

Mitch good article and thanks for sharing the link. I would recommend using plastic gauge to see how the bearing wear is as I didn’t see that in Rich’s article.

Comment

The rod bearings on early V8 are floating, they need clearance between the rod and bearing, and between crankshaft and bearing.
            about .0015-.003 each side.
            if a piece of .005 shim stock between crankshaft and bearing locks it up-- both rods it should be ok.
            The rod bearings have to be able to spin, either they're wrong size or have to be adjusted by bending the shell.
            Shim stock about 1/2" wide the width of journal.
            Bearings were sold in undersizes for crankshaft, and oversizes for rods, and multiple combinations, original bearings usually have lettering in oil grooves that can be referenced to original size.

Comment