51flathead carburetor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 51flathead carburetor

looking for help on carburetor as the engine starts then runs for about 5 seconds sounds like it bogs down then dies won’t restart for several hours and does same thing. i have instructions on how to adjust carb but can’t keep it running long enough to do anything. it is like its flooding out. when it dies it sounds like fuel is still going into the carb. i took top of carb off and noticed that no gas in bowl and that needle that goes down to let gas in when the float goes down was stuck and after cleaning it goes up and down like it should but i’m wondering if too much gas or too little in the bowl. y’all were great help in getting the starter issue resolved and been trying to keep it running ever since that was resolved. tank clean all good gas fuel pump works something just wrong. it will fire right up after sitting and smooth as can be and second i press accelerator it bogs down and dies.

if i posted wrong i apologize and just not very good at this. thanks to everyone and wish you all a great 4th.

That sounds to me like the fuel pump diaphragm has a hole in it. How about some pictures of the carburetor? Is it a 97?
    You wana look waaay far up da road and plan yer route because the brakes are far more of a suggestion than a command!

Comment

thanks so much for reply. the fuel pump is new but i can take it off and check.
      Attached Files

Comment

another picture
        Attached Files

Comment

Ok, couple things to check. First, pull the fuel line from the input to the pump and pull a vacuum to it. If you have not changed the rubber fuel hoses it would be prudent to. Hook a separate fuel tank to the pump and see if it draws fuel. You can also hook that separate fuel supply to the carburetor and as long as it is placed higher than the carburetor bowl, it should run good.

If by drawing a vacuum on he fuel line to the tank you get no gas, change all rubber hoses to the new stuff. Make sure you are running the new high pressure fuel hose. BTW, if you put pressure to the fuel line to the tank make sure the cap is off and listen for bubbles. Just because you hear bubbles, doesn't mean the line is clear to bring gas forward, I have had a flap valve in a rubber hose that only let gas go one way!
          You wana look waaay far up da road and plan yer route because the brakes are far more of a suggestion than a command!

Comment

Remember any cracks in the rubber fuel lines back to the tank will cause the system to suck air. You’ll lose the fuel suction. Go with Wiz’s suggestions and you’ll most likely figure it out. Keep us posted
            3 ~ Tudor's
            Henry Ford said
            "It's all nuts and bolts"

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

that’s great and i will do exactly that tomorrow and get the new high pressure gas line as i had hard time finding a fitting that screwed in the carburetor that would accommodate the gas line and like an idiot i just got some clear line for part of the gas line and in pictures you can see where i connected that clear line to the metal line from tank then to a gas filter then to the only fitting i could find that would screw into the fuel pump i know i messed up but when i disconnect the line from fuel pump to carb and hit the starter gas shoots out but only after i filled the glass bowl with gas.
              Attached Files

Comment

When it "dies" is there fuel in the fuel pump glass bowl?? A leak where the bowl seals to the pump will give you this fail (gasket should be cork).
                Disconnect the line at the carb, have someone crank it over and see if you get a steady stream of fuel to the carb.
                Paul in CT

Comment

disconnected the line from pump to carburetor and definitely steady stream of fuel to carburetor. it will easily start after sitting a bit and Does the same darn thing in Then it will run For about five seconds Then starts bogging down and dies.

Comment

The proper way to test fuel pressure is with a gauge at the carburetor. This will tell you if the pressure drops off any after running. If it does not, then it is not a delivery issue up to that point. Otherwise it is just a crapshoot. This is all you need.. A low pressure combo vacuum gauge. It can even be driven with this on for high speed issues
                    https://www.harborfreight.com/Fuel-P...ter-62637.html

You can also richen it with carb cleaner when it is acting up to see if it is a fuel issue.
                    3 ~ Tudor's
                    Henry Ford said
                    "It's all nuts and bolts"

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

Maybe an electrical problem - bad coil or condenser. They can fail when hot, be ok when cooled down.

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• Soapy
                        Fuel Problem - Any Thoughts?
                        by Soapy
                        When I got my coupe back after it had been sitting for most of 9 years, one of the first things I did was flush the gas tank and when that was done, I bought a rebuilt Zenith 1 from Bert's. The car ran beautifully, but I haven't driven in much since getting it going. Several weeks ago, I was going to go to a local cruise and it quit after just a short ride. It felt like fuel and I concluded the the...
                        07-08-2019, 08:57 PM
                      • dmdeaton
                        New to me roadster quit on us tonight, carb question.
                        by dmdeaton
                        Ok, this morning I took a 30 mile round trip to Ron's Machine Shop in Shandon, OH to show them the car. Stopped on the way home and filled up with 5 gallons. We jumped in tonight to take a short drive and less than a mile from the house it started sputtering and finally quit. Got it started with choke and it idled for a while then quit. Pushing on gas pedal it is starving for gas. I am pretty sure...
                        09-16-2017, 09:32 PM
                      • George Miller
                        Quiz for you guys
                        by George Miller
                        Today 5 cars went on tour. After a hour or so one car started to slow down and back fire on the hills.
                        This car would have gas run out of carb ever time when when we stopped.

What do you think it was. On the flat it seemed to run ok.
                        06-29-2019, 12:21 PM
                      • gpowers
                        Carburetor tuning
                        by gpowers
                        I am having similar problems with my Tillotson as well. When I bought the car it would idle ok but sputtered and died once I got it up off idle. Being a new Model a owner, I did a lot of looking online and felt comfortable taking it apart. Once apart, it had a little sediment in the float bowl but otherwise I thought it looked good. I cleaned it up and put it back together but it still had the same...
                        03-01-2019, 07:14 AM
                      • DaWizard
                        Will the problems never stop?
                        by DaWizard
                        Well, now that I have a great spark I find something else to take away from my driving pleasure.

About an hour or so ago, while driving on the busiest 4 lane highway we have, the engine decides to just rough idle at a signal and die! (it just had to be this road and me in the fast lane parked!)

Well, after trying fruitlessly to get Wheezer running again, parked in the #1
                        12-22-2018, 07:09 PM
                      • carolinamudwalker
                        Zenith on fire
                        by carolinamudwalker
                        Club member had an engine catch fire on the way home. Caused damage to the hood but otherwise car is ok. No one knows what ignited the gas. Gas leaks from the Zenith carb are so common that some of us tend to ignore them. Just took mine apart again, lost count how many times. I have the proverbial 1" measurement on the float, flow tested jets, all new gaskets ect. and still have a slight weep...
                        08-20-2018, 07:39 AM
                      • Tom Rode
                        Why no fuel filter?
                        by Tom Rode
                        My recently acquired model A does not have an inline fuel filter. The gas line comes through the fire wall for about 10 inches then a section of rubber fuel line hose, clamped both ends, to another section of copper line to carb. No Fuel filter. The good news here, visual inspection of the fuel tank reveals Spotlessly Clean tank, no rust, sediment, nothing. Ran out of fuel recently (just got the rebuild...
                        11-26-2019, 09:08 AM
                      • Big guy
                        Could it be vapor lock?
                        by Big guy
                        Sadly today was this first time Roscoe was out. Took me to the carwash to remove the dust. Started with barely tapping the starter and purred like a kitten.This was the first time with new in tank filter, new gas shut off valve, Wix filter, new bowl to carb gas line and new Renner jets. So ran wonderful on the ride to and from the car wash until I got stuck by a train. I shut him down until the train...
                        06-02-2020, 06:05 PM
                      • Jwmckenzie
                        Carburetor crud
                        by Jwmckenzie
                        I am getting Thom (my ‘29 Pickup) going for the Summer. Not running very well so I took the carb off and OMG what a mess.

Lots of rust in on the bowl and every other part. I am of the practice of running the carb out of gas before I put it away. Guess that will have to change that practice. How do you winterize the fuel system?

Will drain the tank next to see What’s...
                        06-28-2018, 09:38 AM
                      • slammin
                        Hard starts
                        by slammin
                        My tudor is parked in my heated shop, never below 42 degrees. I only start the 29 once every few weeks, take it out and put 3 or 4 miles on her. The last few times shes been tough to start and doesn't want keep running until I make a few attempts. It smells like it is running rich, but tends to backfire a few times before the idle smooths out. Once out on the road, I get a lot of vibration from the...
                        01-27-2018, 09:31 AM
                      Working...
                      X