with Sears going bust, Craftesman tools too?, What is a good brand of tool

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• with Sears going bust, Craftesman tools too?, What is a good brand of tool

I tried to get a replacement for a broken craftsman ratchet, Loews won't replace..They sell only boxed sets. anyway maybe that is a sign of things to come. What is a good brand of tool? Snap on is just too expensive.

Yes they are more money, but the quality is top notch and guaranteed for life. Look on ebay for used snap on tools, it's much cheaper and still guaranteed
    3 ~ Tudor's
    Henry Ford said
    "It's all nuts and bolts"

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

If you have a ACE hardware store near you give them a try, also Sears sells on line parts for appliances and such, maybe for tools like ratchets they have rebuild kits. I have found that Home depot sells Huskey tools and I find them good for my non-professional use, and they won't cost you your left lung to buy. Life time guarantees are sometimes a gimmick , they never say if it's the tools life time or yours, example : after a tool is broken isn't it's life over therefor so is the guaranty and if they mean your life time, I don't think most of us will care about broken tools when our lifetime is over. ( with the exception of a few of us such as Tom, Mitch and some others belonging to the VFF)
      “If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.” (Will Rogers).

Comment

the whole point is that if the tool breaks you can return it for another.

Comment

• Bobm90
          Bobm90 commented
          Editing a comment
          Yes and that is what H.D. Does with Husky, that is what I am told but I haven't broken any of them yet to test their warrantee.

Note: When returning any tool with moving parts, like a ratchet, to Sears, they will not warranty it. At least they would not for me. They would sell me a replacement guts for it. It was cheaper just to buy another one and I got it for $20 along with a set of sockets.

Comment

• Bobm90
          Bobm90 commented
          Editing a comment
          In the past they replaced socket wrenches for me but only if rebuild kits weren't available. I don't know if they would have tried to sell me the replacement parts or would have rebuilt it for me.

Sears tools are available at True Value hardware stores. in the past any Sears ratchet I returned was always replaced no charge. But its been a few years since the last replacemnt.

Comment

Called ACE hardware today that carries Craftsman tools, they said they would not replace my broken craftesman rachet I have to go to sear for that.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Kennedy View Post
            Note: When returning any tool with moving parts, like a ratchet, to Sears, they will not warranty it. At least they would not for me. They would sell me a replacement guts for it. It was cheaper just to buy another one and I got it for $20 along with a set of sockets.
            Wow that is good to know! I was looking at a snap on ratchet socket set, Even they mentioned that the ratchet gears would someday have to be rebuilt! You are right, just better off buying a tool for the job and throw it away if it brakes. Maybe Harbor Freight is not that bad. ....disposable tools.

Comment

• Bobm90
              Bobm90 commented
              Editing a comment
              Keep in mind though, sometimes disposable hand tools sometimes cause disposable knuckles. I have purchased Ryobi power tools like hand grinders, drills, sanders etc. thinking I would use them only for the job at hand but have been pleasantly surprised even after years of use they are still going strong and because I have them handy I use them more than I ever imagined I would.

I like SK tools myself I have some like 60 yrs old and still going ! ken ct

Comment

I have some old Husky's hanging tough
              3 ~ Tudor's
              Henry Ford said

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

• Bobm90
                Bobm90 commented
                Editing a comment
                I was a wheeled and tracked , gas and diesel mechanic in the Army (yes our Army) and we used a lot of Husky brand tools, I know they were produced to Govt. standards at the time but us 19 year old's gave they quite a work out and I don't remember them failing, I still use a lot of Husky stuff.

I got S-K tools for high school graduation present. When at PWA I bought Williams tools and a local supplier.
              Paul in CT

Comment

Originally posted by Bobm90 View Post
                I know they were produced to Govt. standards at the time
                Interesting, I didn't know that
                3 ~ Tudor's
                Henry Ford said

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

Craftsman tools are now being sold at Lowes. Not sure if they have the same tool replacement policy.

Comment

• DaWizard
                    DaWizard commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Hey Rayfry, WELCOME to the VFF!!

Just an FYI, Craftsman tools are also being sold at Ace hardware stores out here on the West end.

• Mitch
                    Mitch commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Welcome Rayfry to the VFF!!
                    I started out with Craftsman tools professionally but slowly upgraded to Snap on. I got tired of breaking stuff.
                    Nowadays good luck with getting things replaced.