English Ford Pilot engine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• English Ford Pilot engine

gday, I am curious as to when the Poms started building the 21 stud engine and a few details .

I know they never changed to 24 stud , and had a lot of surplus engines over at war's end, so they designed a car to use the engine, which became the pilot, a car that in size and shape very similar to a 36 USA Ford sedan .

The only difference in the engine casting that i can readily see, are, 2 freeze plugs added to rear of block.

My engine has a double drilled crankshaft and locked insert big ends, but anything could have been changed over the years.

Did the pilot have locked inserts and if it did, what year did it start?

pilot.jpg

Answers.

Originally posted by pooch View Post
    gday, I am curious as to when the Poms started building the 21 stud engine and a few details . Around 53. ?

I know they never changed to 24 stud , and had a lot of surplus engines over at war's end, so they designed a car to use the engine, which became the pilot, a car that in size and shape very similar to a 36 USA Ford sedan . Yes

The only difference in the engine casting that i can readily see, are, 2 freeze plugs added to rear of block. Yup thats about it , and the deck is raised to if I remember. The pan is different along with starter motor

My engine has a double drilled crankshaft and locked insert big ends, but anything could have been changed over the years. correct ,long nose crank too

Did the pilot have locked inserts and if it did, what year did it start? Yes insert mains, floating flanged big ends. Basically its a 37 block

Great little engine!

pilot.jpg

Comment

• DaWizard
      DaWizard commented
      Editing a comment
      Hey Talkwrench, WELCOME to the VFF!!

• Bobm90
      Bobm90 commented
      Editing a comment
      Great looking car !!!

Gday Talkwrench. Welcome to the VFF.

I have heard of these flanged bearings, but the engine I run must have a changed crankshaft in it.

I have a complete original engine coming soon, so wil be curious to see what is in it.

I believe these flanged bearings are unobtainable now ?

Comment

Oh no they are out there.. just hard to get in the right size and expensive, but you'll probably have to size the rods and crank anyway... But if done correctly they are the best.
      You do not have permission to view this gallery.
      This gallery has 2 photos.

Comment